Author Topic: Castelnovo children sent out to Smith Falls Canada  (Read 21609 times)

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Castelnovo children sent out to Smith Falls Canada
« on: Monday 06 February 06 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out any information about the half brother and sister of my grandmother (now deceased).  They were sent to live with relatives (although they could be British Home Children) in Smith Falls Canada.
GEORGE ALBERT CASTELNOVO B 1901
MILICENT CASTELNOVO ?

Their mother was Sarah Ann Eliza Castelnovo (formerly Long) and their father was Jescard Albert Giacomo Castelnovo - they married Dec 1893.

In the census return 1901, Sarah and baby George (2m) were living at 1a Brewery Lane Islington.  Husband Jescard was not listed.  He worked in a hotel so he may have stayed there that night.  He later died of TB I think, although I cannot find any record of his death anywhere.

Sarah remarried  c 1907 to a Robert James Mandeno, my great grandfather and the children were sent to Smith Falls in Canada to live with relatives.  I'm not sure if these were relatives of the Castelnovo family or the Long family.  One of the problems I have encountered so far is the many different spellings of their surname; Castelnovo, Castlenovo, Castelnova, etc  I have even thought Castelnouveau(x) might be a possibility given the Canadian connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Castelnovo children sent out to Smith Falls Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 06 16:36 GMT (UK) »
The Home Children database of passenger lists gives no result likely to be them even to "Cast$"

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 06 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is any help, but found this

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 February 06 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your time in looking up my query and sending your replies.  Mandeno is quite an unusual surname, so it's possible that it could be the same person.  The date of birth however looks unlikely as he was born in 1901.  Are the census returns for the area  for 1911 on line? and is it possible to search under his  birthplace (Islington, London).  My grandmother gave me the impression her half brothers and sisters were sent out as children.  Although I quess that they could have been placed with Barnados or some other institution and sent out to Canada a few years later.   

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 06 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Ohh, I found this in 1911, might be them he has a sister Millicent and the parents listed are kindof old to be having children?

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 06 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Clayton, Ontario is only about 33 miles or 40 mins north of Smith Falls, Ontario
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Does the census list the birth place of Millicent and the parents?  Also if the children were adopted would there be any records relating to that.  Would any later records ie Marriage list their original surname? Thanks for all your help.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 12:20 GMT (UK) »
If you go to http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/1911/index-e.html
and just put in the district, sub-district and find the page you will be able to look at the original itself. 

I think it listed them as just born in England, they all came to Canada in 1905.  Not sure about adoption papers. 

I guess if they kept their new last name, you would have to try and find a marriage/death certificate.

For me, our last name was actually changed to "Stanley" as well.  And to this day all Canadian connections are still Stanley, no legal papers were ever done, it was pretty easy to get a new name back then.

Maybe there is a clue through the daughter Dora, I found she has a husband Charles Henry Silson.  Do you want that information?

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look on the web site you suggested, but I can't seem to find them.  I've been entering Clayton and  Ramsay township / Clayton village comes up, is this the right place? I've looked through the records but can't find Stanleys.  Am I looking in the right place?   If you could find out any info re Daughter Dora that may be useful.

Thanks