Author Topic: HEADING family - Wantage & Oxford  (Read 4769 times)

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HEADING family - Wantage & Oxford
« on: Wednesday 22 February 06 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Hoping someone may be able to offer some advice with a brick wall I am facing.

My 4th great grandparents were Charles PRESTON m. Elizabeth HEADING 1821 St. Mary Magdalen, Oxford.
They had children named: Mary, Charles, James, Amelia and Sophia.
Elizabeth died in 1836 and Charles in 1831.

There is a William HEADING aged 76 buried in St. Mary Magdalen, Oxford in 1836 and a Mary HEADING aged 74 buried in St. Mary Magdalen, Oxford in 1832.

I found a baptism on the IGI for an Elizabeth HEADING daughter of William & Mary HEADING baptised Wantage, Berkshire in 1801. The IGI lists 2 other children for William & Mary:  Mary (1796) and Amelia(1799), both baptised in Wantage.  William appears to be the son of John & Amelia HEADING baptised 1760 in Sparsholt, Berkshire.

The ages and the names all seem to be right but I was hoping to find a Will to help prove that I had the right HEADINGs.
I have tried Indexes to the Death Duty Registers for 1832 and 1836 but there were no HEADINGs, I have also looked for PRESTON in 1831 and 1836.  I requested a lookup of the Oxfordshire Wills and Administrations Indexes but searches for these HEADINGs and PRESTONs gave no results.
I ordered the Will of the sister Amelia HEADING (b.1799 d.1860 Cricklade, Wiltshire) but it didn't help.
I then tried the Will of Amelia HEADING (d.1808 of Chawley, Berkshire - probable grandmother of Elizabeth)  she had written it in 1799 and did mention her son William, a farmer from Wantage.

Other  HEADING burials in St. Mary Magdalene, Oxford are:
Charlotte HEADING (1822 aged 67- probably the daughter of John & Amelia HEADING, baptised 1757 Sparsholt, Berkshire)
Thomas HEADING (1823 aged 33 - I have a copy of his Will in which he refers to his aunt Charlotte who is his housekeeper).
So, it does look like other HEADINGs from the Wantage area moved to St. Mary Magdalen, Oxford.

I'm not sure where I should try next. I need to prove that William, Mary and Elizabeth HEADING from Wantage are the same people as William, Mary and Elizabeth HEADING from St. Mary Magdalen, Oxford.
I live a fair distace from a FHS or library, so I have been trying to do as much as I can via the Internet.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you,

Aillin,
Australia
Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HEADING family - Wantage & Oxford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 22 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aillin,

Did you manage to have your questions above answered?

Thanks, Kirst

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 22 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kirst,
This is a very old thread, and Aillin hasn't logged on to RootsChat since February 2020, however hopefully she still has the same email address and will receive notification of your post.

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 22 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kirst,
This is a very old thread, and Aillin hasn't logged on to RootsChat since February 2020, however hopefully she still has the same email address and will receive notification of your post.

Thank you

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 22 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aillin,

Did you manage to have your questions above answered?

Thanks, Kirst

Thanks Kirst. Yes, I have since confirmed that the family from Wantage were my family. I even have a DNA match with a descendant of Elizabeth Heading's sister which also helped to prove this was the right family  :)
Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 22 22:28 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Kirst. Yes, I have since confirmed that the family from Wantage were my family. I even have a DNA match with a descendant of Elizabeth Heading's sister which also helped to prove this was the right family  :)
[/quote]

Hi Allin,

Thanks so much for your reply as I did wonder if perhaps too many years had gone by. And great to hear that you have had confirmation. I will take another look at my family tree, presently a work in progress, to see where I have Elizabeth Heading noted. From memory I'm trying to trace more of the family she descended from. Great that you have found answers :)