Author Topic: LEGACY - Help needed urgently please  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
LEGACY - Help needed urgently please
« on: Wednesday 25 January 06 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry to sound as though I am shouting but at the moment I am feeling physically sick due to an error that has happened on Legacy 6.0 Deluxe.

I inputted quite alot of information on Sunday evening.

Last night I only opened it to answer a query for someone else, so I scrolled up and down without inputting or changing anything.

All of a sudden the screen froze on me and everytime I went to touch anything with my mouse (not literally) it made a beeping sound.  I couldn't use the file/edit/tools keys at the top and the only way I could come out of the program was to do control/alt/delete.

I went into the program three times last night and once tonight with the same results, I have even rebooted my pc with no effect.

I emailed legacy last night but have had no reply.

I am not so worried about legacy as all of my information that is held.  I can't even get into the backup to retreive them.

Please please could someone help me.

Regards

Little Lil
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LEGACY - HELP NEEDED URGENTLY PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 06 04:56 GMT (UK) »

Are you sure it was Legacy freezing on you or your PC?

How many windows did you have open besides Legacy?

I have had ongoing complaints with the Legacy help desk over the fact that the new version 6 uses up a lot more RAM memory than the previous versions - which means that you can no longer have all the windows open that you used to have before.

I have WIN 98 and 256 RAM, and whereas before I could have 6 windows open along with Legacy version 5, now with version 6, I can only have 2 or maybe 3 windows open before the system freezes or crashes on me.

Its very irritating. I am sorely tempted to switch to another program, but I cannot afford to buy them. I like Legacy - at least I did - but this new version is the worst "improvements" they have ever done - in my opinion.

IF you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Burrow Digger

BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 06 05:51 GMT (UK) »

I too have had problems with this legacy program.

Not only did it cause alot of freezing on my computer, but in the process everything in my legacy file was deleted so I had to restart  from  scratch, and re-enter all my research,  which I was ready to download  to rootschat webspace.

Finally  I had to admit defeat and put my tree on another program, it was a hard lesson to learn.

wishing you both  luck in solving this one.

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LegacySupport

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 06 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Howdy all!  Fortunately someone has reported this thread to Legacy Support.  I sure wish someone would have just written to us directly sooner!

The apparent freezing issue is a known problem that was just discovered.  What's happening is that the window you just clicked on to open is opening off screen.  If you close Legacy, go to the Legacy folder on your hard drive and delete the Legacy2.usr file, then when you go back into Legacy your problem should be solved.  See how simple of a fix it is???

The beep is a clue that a window's open somewhere.  Try it in another program.  Open a window and then click on the main program itself - you'll get a beep I bet!

This problem should not affect your data at all.  Jericho, I'm not sure what could have happened - please contact me directly and I'll try to help you find your missing data.

Please, in the future if you have any problems with Legacy, contact us directly and we'll be more than happy to help!

Little Lil, I see you say that you did email us.  We're a bit behind as we're training a new support person but be assured if you did email us, you will get a reply ASAP.  We try to get back to you within 48 hours.

Burrow Digger, Legacy v6 does require a lot more resources than Legacy v5 did.  If you'd like to go back to Legacy v5, please email me and I'll give you specific instructions to revert.  We will probably be doing some more updates for that version of Legacy because we know that users with older computers and especially Windows 98 and Windows ME are having problems with the program.  In fact, we just released a new build for both versions of Legacy which solved a problem with the IGI log-in (because the FamilySearch site changed how they're handling log-ins and didn't warn us <g>) and we changed the pdf generator to a newer version.

Thanks for using Legacy.

Sherry
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
Support@MillenniaCorp.com
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

We are changing the world of genealogy!

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Re: LEGACY - HELP NEEDED URGENTLY PLEASE - THANK YOU TO ALL
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 06 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts, comments and help.

As you can guess I am now back up and running thanks to the time and patience of the people at Legacy.

I will now spend the rest of the evening making certain that I am not in that situation again and make copies of my work.

Can I suggest to anyone who has hiccups with Legacy to get in contact with their support staff as they have incredible patience and will help you all they can.

Again many thanks to all.

Take care

Little Lil
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 06 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Sherry,

I'm sending you an email with more questions. :)

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Help needed with Legacy 6
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 May 06 05:19 BST (UK) »
Every time i click on name list or marr list Legacy freezes on me. I am using the free download and am considering buying the full version so would like to solve this problem first. Can any one help?
Regards Carol

Moderator Comment: topics merged

Thanks to Berlin Bob Problem now fixed. Many Thanks
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.