Author Topic: Coroners Reports  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Coroners Reports
« on: Tuesday 18 July 06 10:12 BST (UK) »

Is it possible to get hold of Coroners Reports from 40 years ago??   If it is, how would I go about it and apart from the obvious, what personal information would it contain about the deceased?

Barbara            8)

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Coroners Reports
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
It is possible to obtain coroners reports from 40 years ago, BUT you have to apply in writing and state who you are - in relation to the deceased and why you want to look at the report.

Contact the County Record/Archive office that covers the area that you require the report for and ask for thier advice, they will most probably have deelings with the current coroner and will either contact him on your behlf or advice you to write to the coroner.

The case file will then be looked at and the coroner will decided whether you can view the case.

As for what information will it contain - it will state who the deceased was, where they lived, possibly what state of mind they were in. The witness statements will say when they last saw the person alive, and it will give the events leading up to and the death. The reports can be graphic, not only that but 40 years ago cameras were used so there may be disstressing photographs included in the report. Do be aware how graphic and disstressing the report maybe to you.

Lemon

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 19:21 BST (UK) »
Many Coroners reports were not kept. It will depend on why the inquest was held, if it was a sudden death or accident then it is highly unlikely to have been kept. If the death was as the result of a crime then you may be lucky. The local newspapers at the time and place of the inquest will normally have a report.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Coroners records legally HAVE to be kept for 30 years therefore it would be VERY unusual for the records to have been destroyed from 40 years ago.

Lemon

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 10:21 BST (UK) »

Hi Lemontree and Jaywit

Thanks for your responses to my question.   The deceased was my Grandfather and the death cert had 'Open Verdict after Coroners Inquest'

I was hoping for a little more 'personal' information, but if they can be quite graphic, I don't think I'll bother as he died after a fall on an open fire.......so I've been told.

Thank you again

Barbara                8)

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 19:25 BST (UK) »
At my fathers inquest in Hertfordshire last year we were told that the report would be kept for 90 years. My mum was also encouraged to write about my fathers life and character, so that it could be filed with the report, so that if anyone was looking into his death in the future they would have more idea of what he was like as a person.
I thought that was a nice touch.  Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 July 06 09:37 BST (UK) »

That's a brilliant idea Linda, adding the personal touch makes his life real doesn't it.  It's a shame there's not more done like that.

Barbara             8)
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 July 06 16:25 BST (UK) »
The only problem  was that my mother was asked to write this life history in the first few days after his death and wasnt given an explanation as to why she had been asked to do it. She could have taken her time over it but rushed to get it written while trying to sort out the funeral etc. Apart from that, it is a great idea, and I believe a personal request of our local coroner. Perhaps he is a genealogist.

Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 July 06 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi  Barbara,

I didn't mean to put you of seeing the reports, I just wanted to warn you that they can be graphic.

Why not ask for the report but explain that you would rather not see them if they are graphic but could you have extracted any personel details if they are included.

Someone is going to have to read them before they make a dissission and therefore will know if there are relevant personel details.

This way you have nothing to lose but something to gain if they agree to extract...

Lemon