Author Topic: PICKIS - Marriage abt 1822  (Read 1125 times)

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PICKIS - Marriage abt 1822
« on: Sunday 06 August 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping SKS may be able to check any London marriage indexes they may have access to for the marriage of my 4th Great Grandparents -

Robert Paul PICKIS m. Elizabeth (maiden name unknown) c.1822

Robert Paul PICKIS was a Carpenter/Joiner.

Robert Paul and Elizabeth had the following children:
-------
Elizabeth PICKIS
b. 12 Jun 1822 (32 Great Bush Lane)
bap. 26 Sep 1824 All Hallows the Less

Catherine Helen PICKIS --- my 3rd Great Grandmother
b. 3 Feb 1824 (32 Great Bush Lane)
bap. 26 Sep 1824 All Hallows the Less

Robert Paul PICKIS
b. 28 Apr 1826 
bap. 25 Jun 1826 All Hallows the Less

Mary Anne PICKIS
bap. 1827 St. Thomas Apostle

-------

Robert Paul was the son of Paul PICKIS and Elizabeth BLOW/BLOWS
and he and some of his siblings (Maria, Mary, Emma) were baptised in St. Mary Whitechapel (Robert Paul was baptised 5 Nov 1797).

A clue to Elizabeth's (wife of Robert Paul) possible maiden name -

Catherine Helen PICKIS was living with James & Dorothy PURVIS in South Shields, Durham in the 1851 Census. Catherine was described as their 'niece'.
James was born abt 1797 in South Shields, Durham and Dorothy (maiden name unknown) was born abt 1791 in North Shields, Northumberland.

PICKIS is a relatively uncommon spelling variant of the name PICKESS/PICKERS, I have often found it in indexes mistranscribed, sometimes as PERKES.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Aillin,
Australia
Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: PICKIS - Marriage abt 1822
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 06 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Aillin

I gather you have the 1841, it is however always best to display that info to confirm details of who they are & where they are.........

1841 CENSUS
2 BELL YARD, ALL HALLOWS, LONDON (Gracechurch Street area and was/is? between Eastcheap and Leadenhall Street) 
ROBERT PICKIS  40  CARPENTER   Y (BORN IN COUNTY)
ELIZABETH  "      18                       Y
CATHERINE "       17                      Y
ROBERT       "       14                      Y
------------------------------

a possibility for Mary is............. no more than a 5 minute walk away from the rest of the family if the right person?
Bishopsgate Street, St Botolph without Bishopsgate, London, Middx
ALFRED BROTHERTON  38  TOBACCONIST  N
JANE               "            30                          Y
+ 3 CHILDREN                                            Y
MARY PURKIS                15  F.S                   Y
------------------

*BUSH LANE where Elizabeth & Catherine were born IS OPPOSITE ST SWITHINS LANE (BETWEEN CANNON STREET & UPPER THAMES STREET) AND THE NEAREST CHURCH WAS ST MARY ABCHURCH.
They had moved just a few hundred yards by 1841.

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PICKIS - Marriage abt 1822
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 August 06 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant,
Thank you for these details.
That Mary PURKIS looks like a possibility. PURKIS is another variant of the name I have found in indexes.
Thanks again,
Aillin
Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk