Author Topic: Buried in Woollen  (Read 9305 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Buried in Woollen
« on: Monday 06 March 06 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I've just invested in the Berkshire Burial Index CD and I'm coming across a few burials where it says they were buried 'in woollen etc'.

Seems to be mostly in the 1700s. Does anyone know what is the significance of this?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
Re: Buried in Woollen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 06 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Buried in Woollen

This refers to the Burial in Woollen Acts of 1667 & 1678.  These Acts were attempts to protect the English Wool Trade, and required that all bodies should be buried in Wool with the exception of those who died from the Plague.  A Five pound fine was imposed for burials which did not comply with the Acts.  By 1814 the Acts were repealed.

During part of the reign of Charles II (1630-1685) one had to be buried in wool -  a legal form had to be signed by the officiating clergy and a witness to this effect.
The reason for this custom was that the wool industry was the chief source of wealth in Britain and people were encouraged to use it in every way possible

Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 06 17:05 GMT (UK) »
How interesting, Tricia.

Do you know what happened if you were a pauper and couldn't afford to be buried in wool? Were paupers' graves exempt from the Act?

I have visions of all those Madame Desfarges at the guillotine, click clacking away with their needles!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 06 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Since the 50s fine was destined to be given to the poor of the parish, except that an informant could claim half, the question is probably academic.  The fine was paid not from the estate of the deceased but by the relatives.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 06 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all :)

seen this, I to was puzzled by the woolen thing, till I read this,

Shropshire: Condover - Parish Registers, Lichfield Diocese
Note to the Reader.
The sixth volume of the Registers of Lichfield diocese is now completed, and, as may be seen, is confined entirely to the long register of Condover.
Readers of this volume may be interested in a few facts connected with the history of parish registers in England.
The first order for keeping parish registers was issued by Thomas Cromwell, under Henry 8th, on  29 Sep 1538 , as is noted on the flyleaf of the first volume of those of Condover (vide p. 198). Cromwell's injunctions were repeated in  1552  and  1558 , and in this latter year were generally obeyed. Cardinal Pole, in  1555 , required the names of sponsors to be given in the register of baptisms, but this order was only occasionally complied with. The register of Frodesley, which begins in  1547 , does not contain a single instance of the addition during the sixteenth century, and Condover has only one or two in the seventeenth (v. p. 60). Selattyn obeyed the injunction, as did a few other Shropshire parishes.
On  25 Oct 1597 , copies on parchment were ordered to be made from the original paper-books, and the copies, known as "Bishops' Transcripts," to be sent to the bishops. These regulations were embodied in the 70th canon in  1603. The order was acted on at Condover apparently in  1613  (v. p. 198).
The Commonwealth introduced several changes with regard to registers. In  1644  births as well as baptisms were ordered to be entered, and in  1653  a "parish register" (or "registrar" as we should call him) was to be appointed to keep the registers. Condover seems to have quietly disregarded both these injunctions, as there is no trace in the registers of either. From  1656  to  1670  the entries are made by various hands, several decidedly illiterate, which seems to show that the vicar wasnon-resident (v. p. 110). In  1654  marriages were ordered to take place before a magistrate, and the banns not necessarily given out in church, but except on p. 111 there is no trace of this at Condover, unless it may account for the very few marriage entries at that period.
In  1667  an Act was passed in the interest of the woollen trade, ordering all bodies to be buried in woollen under a penalty of 50s., and in  1678  an affidavit that such had been the case was ordered to be given within seven days of a burial.
Between  1694  and  1698  a duty was imposed on the registration of births, marriages, and burials, and again between  1783  and  1794  (v. p. 301). In connection with this, it is well to note that the word "pauper" added to an entry simply means exemption from this tax.
In  1754  a new regulation came in with regard to marriage registers, which were ordered to be kept in a separate book, and more fully entered than had formerly been the case (v. p. 350).
In  1751  the civil year, which had been dated from the  25 Mar , was ordered to be calculated from the  01 Jan , the beginning of the historical year. Before  1751  it is not unusual to find two dates given for the period between  01 Jan  and  25 Mar , as according to the one reckoning they were the last three months of the year, and according to the other the first three. This double date is not often given in the Condover Registers, but it occurs on p. 228, in  1743 , after which date the year is given by Mr. Podmore as beginning on  01 Jan.
New regulations as to the form of keeping registers came in force in  1813 , and hence  1812  has been chosen as the conclusion of the volumes of printed registers issued by the Shropshire Parish Register Society. Civil registration dates from  1837 , so before that date parish registers supply many items of information not to be found elsewhere.
The cost of printing this volume with its index has amounted to about £75, half of which has been borne by the Society, the other half being the generous gift of the Rev. Prebendary Auden, the present vicar of
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 06 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Isnt it amazing what you can learn here?
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 06 02:27 GMT (UK) »
That's another piece of info to bookmark! If only I dont lose it
 with my next 'puter clean up!!
Thank's Pete.
                     Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 06 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi All
While doing some searches, the burials say "buried in woollen". Could SKS please tell me what this meant.
There was one where a travellers child was buried in a coffin but only with straw.
Best wishes......Iris  :)
Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 October 06 21:16 BST (UK) »
Just one result from a quick Google .... theres other references, but this seems to be why:-

Subsequent to the BURIAL IN WOOL ACTS 1667 and 1678 all bodies were to be buried in wool only, unless they have died from the Plague and an affidavit sworn accordingly. The penalty for not doing so was £5. These were repealed in 1814.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk