Author Topic: The second of my British Home Children  (Read 2842 times)

indiapaleale

The second of my British Home Children
« on: Thursday 16 August 07 00:09 BST (UK) »
This message is posted as information only. I don't need any help with tracing backwards and  I have traced John Leonard up until 1912 in Winnipeg. I am posting this in the hope that his descendants see this message and know that I am out here...waving!....Yooo Hooo!

John Leonard Alldridge (Wallis) was born on 18 August 1884 at the back of of Blews St. West. Birmingham. His mother was Ellen Wallis and on his birth certificate there is no father shown. His forenames are John Leonard Alldridge and when Ellen Wallis married Harry (Henry) Alldridge 5 years later I am putting 2 and 2 together. They did have other children together - both before and after marriage. 

Henry Alldridge died in 1893 in Birmingham aged 32  and in November 1894, Ellen placed John Leonard and his 2 brothers William Henry and Francis, and sister Ruth Rebecca, in the Middlemore Children's Home in Birmingham.

Notes from the home describe Ellen's plight as dire with no money to feed her 6 starving children.

In June 1896 John Leonard, William Henry, Francis and Ruth Rebecca were all shipped to Canada on the S. S. Corean.

John Leonard arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia on 27 June 1896 and by October 1896 he was living with the Murray family in Salt Springs, Pictou, NS.

John Leonard lived with the Murray family until at least 1902. In 1911 John Leonard is in Winnipeg, Manitoba with his brother William Henry and sister Violet and her child. How they all got to Winnipeg is a mystery....but I imagine they rode the rails!

John Leonard Alldridge (Aldridge) married Matilda Jurrett in Winnipeg August 21 1912.

Altogether, there were 7 Alldridge children who were shipped to Canada. They were the children of my grandfather's brother. I cannot understand why the family couldn't take them in but I am in no position to say. They all  lived in the slums of Birmingham and times were tough.

I just want to try and find the families and let them know that they are my cousins and I love them.

Watch this space for my scribblings about the 6 other children.

Indi

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The first of my British Home Children
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 07 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Indi,

Another amazing story.  I understand your reason for posting this and hope you find your cousins.

Just thought I'd mention that there were harvest trains that travelled west loaded with folks seeking work and possible better lives. 

As well, people often travelled by train to Winnipeg where immigration sheds had been constructed by the railway company for itinerant workers and future homesteaders who then moved on to employment or land ownership.

This is part of my ancestors' stories, though not as Home Children.

Regards,  Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

indiapaleale

Re: The second of my British Home Children
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 07 01:34 BST (UK) »
Here is the 2nd of the 7 British Home Children from the Alldridge family.

Ruth Rebecca Alldridge (Aldridge) was born 15 June 1890 at 9 Court 5 House Lower Tower St., Birmingham. She was the daughter of Harry (Henry) Alldridge (Aldridge) and Ellen Wallis and the sister of John Leonard Alldridge - see above.

Ruth Rebecca was probably named after her grandmother - Ruth Alldridge (nee Bull) and her great-aunt Rebecca Alldridge (nee Bull) sisters who died very young.

Ruth Rebecca was placed in the Middlemore Home in Birmingham in August 1895 and she was shipped to Canada on June 16, 1896 with her brothers John Leonard, William Henry and Francis. Ruth was aged 6 years and 1 day.

Ruth Rebecca was placed with the McKenzie family in Pictou, Nova Scotia in 1896 and stayed with the family until 1911.

Ruth Rebecca travelled to Winnipeg, Manitoba in late 1911 or early 1912 and on May 8 1912 she married Samuel George Scott at a residence on Elgin Avenue, Winnipeg.

If any relatives are out there....I'm waving.....I love you !

Indi

Offline win2dex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 September 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Indi,
I am a grandson of Ruth Rebecca Aldridge and Samuel George Scott.  I have just recently started to research my family tree.  What an interesting and challenging undertaking.

There seems to be a continuous spelling issue with the name Aldridge and Alldridge.  On information that I have found on the children that immigrated to Canada, even the children do not spell it consistently.

I received a copy of a letter from a cousin that is not dated or signed.  It appears to be written by a grandchild of John Leonard Aldridge.  The letter refers to the struggles of his grandpa once he arrived in Canada and a little about the other children (Middlemore Children).  I would like to track down the person who wrote the letter.

I would love to hear from you.
win2dex     :)
SCOTT: Newtownards, Co. Down, Northern Ireland
REEVES: Cumbuslang, Scotland
WHITE: Cumbuslang, Scotland
ALLDRIDGE: Birmingham, England
BEATTY: Kilmore, Co. Monaghan, Northern Ireland
SYLVESTER: Ontario, Canada
BYGROVE: Ireland
DAROU: Flanders, Belgium/France

indiapaleale

« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Well - Hello there cousin! It's so exciting to track down one of my lovely Middlemore children.

My grandfather, Henry Alldridge was the brother of Ruth Rebecca's father, Harry Alldridge. It all gets confusing because Harry is sometimes called Henry - Urgg. But the one thing for sure is that the seven children all had the same mother, Ellen Wallis.
 I have Ruth's birth certificate - marriage certificate and lots of notes from Middlemore. Do you have any of those documents - if not I will be happy to send you copies.

One thing I can tell you is that John Leonard Alldridge was illegitimate and his birth certificate states no father - therefore - his actual name was John Leonard Alldridge Wallis. I am certain that Harry Alldridge was indeed his father  - but he and Ellen were not married yet. I also think that Harry Alldridge may have been in the slammer at the time of the birth! He was a bit of a bad lot!

I will send you a PM with my hotmail address as my other email address is on the blink.

Sending hugs and smiles from sunny California
Cousin Pam