Author Topic: 'DeRenzie Percival' or 'Percival DeRenzie'  (Read 5543 times)

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
'DeRenzie Percival' or 'Percival DeRenzie'
« on: Thursday 27 December 07 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of, or have anyone in their family tree with the given names 'DeRenzie Percival' or 'Percival DeRenzie' (or a very similar name like Derenzy Percy)?
I have a DeRenzie Percival FULLERTON in my family tree (b 1884 Queensland, Australia). His ancestors came from County Kildare. I am trying to find the origin of his unusual name. I know the DeRenzie family were landed gentry in Ireland, but I don't know what connection there could be to my agricultural labourer FULLERTONs.
I have found others with similar names in Australia (particularly Queensland), including a Derenzie Percival QUILL whose ancestors came from County Kerry, and a De Renzie Percy Brett WILSON a stockbroker in the early 1900s living in Queensland ( I know nothing else about him).

Was there a famous person with this name?
There is a family story that this name has something to do a soldier who was in the Spanish War (the Peninsular War?) and married a Spanish girl. The name 'Marcella' may have something to do with it.

Any help would be most appreciated.  :)

Regards,

Aillin,
Australia

Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'DeRenzie Percival' or 'Percival DeRenzie'
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 December 07 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I know the DeRenzie family were landed gentry in Ireland, but I don't know what connection there could be to my agricultural labourer FULLERTONs.
There is a family story that this name has something to do a soldier who was in the Spanish War (the Peninsular War?) and married a Spanish girl. The name 'Marcella' may have something to do with it.

Googling the name De Renzie indicates that the original chap was German.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZZmJfoiaZi0C&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=de+renzie+ireland&source=web&ots=VRSuQkDk42&sig=fsfFxTeNpEymxxSlVSqbstaveMQ
There are other sites quoting same reference.

Perhaps at some time a De Renzie married a Percival.

Family Search also has some entries- submitted by members of what seem to be the original chap's children- one of them, Barbara, married a Brett which could link with the stockbroker you mention.

good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 December 07 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood  :)
I will have a look at that link.
Regards,
Aillin
Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WMeadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi I was just googling DeRenzie as it came up in our family tree and coincidently all the other surnames you have mentioned are also connected with my family.  We have our DNA up on Ancestry.co.uk so you should be a genetic match if you are on there!!!

Regards

M from Ireland