test

Author Topic: 'DeRenzie Percival' or 'Percival DeRenzie'  (Read 1687 times)

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
    • Australian Genealogy Journeys Blog
'DeRenzie Percival' or 'Percival DeRenzie'
« on: Thursday 27 December 07 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of, or have anyone in their family tree with the given names 'DeRenzie Percival' or 'Percival DeRenzie' (or a very similar name like Derenzy Percy)?
I have a DeRenzie Percival FULLERTON in my family tree (b 1884 Queensland, Australia). His ancestors came from County Kildare. I am trying to find the origin of his unusual name. I know the DeRenzie family were landed gentry in Ireland, but I don't know what connection there could be to my agricultural labourer FULLERTONs.
I have found others with similar names in Australia (particularly Queensland), including a Derenzie Percival QUILL whose ancestors came from County Kerry, and a De Renzie Percy Brett WILSON a stockbroker in the early 1900s living in Queensland ( I know nothing else about him).

Was there a famous person with this name?
There is a family story that this name has something to do a soldier who was in the Spanish War (the Peninsular War?) and married a Spanish girl. The name 'Marcella' may have something to do with it.

Any help would be most appreciated.  :)

Regards,

Aillin,
Australia

Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'DeRenzie Percival' or 'Percival DeRenzie'
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 December 07 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I know the DeRenzie family were landed gentry in Ireland, but I don't know what connection there could be to my agricultural labourer FULLERTONs.
There is a family story that this name has something to do a soldier who was in the Spanish War (the Peninsular War?) and married a Spanish girl. The name 'Marcella' may have something to do with it.

Googling the name De Renzie indicates that the original chap was German.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZZmJfoiaZi0C&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=de+renzie+ireland&source=web&ots=VRSuQkDk42&sig=fsfFxTeNpEymxxSlVSqbstaveMQ
There are other sites quoting same reference.

Perhaps at some time a De Renzie married a Percival.

Family Search also has some entries- submitted by members of what seem to be the original chap's children- one of them, Barbara, married a Brett which could link with the stockbroker you mention.

good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
    • Australian Genealogy Journeys Blog
Re: 'DeRenzie Percival' or 'Percival DeRenzie'
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 December 07 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood  :)
I will have a look at that link.
Regards,
Aillin
Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk