Author Topic: Lost at Sea 1887  (Read 12690 times)

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost at Sea 1887
« on: Thursday 28 February 08 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, today I found the death of one of my Gt Grandfathers. His name was JOHN SLATER and I discovered that he drowned in 1887,   I now have a list of the other men who  died .Thought it might help someone.

GEORGE CURRIE 40yrs
WILLIAM PIRIE    34yrs
JOHN SLATER      26yrs ( GtGrandfather )
JAMES SLATER     21yrs
ROBERT SLATER  18yrs
GEORGE GOODBRAND 22yrs
WILLIAM GOODBRAND 16yrs
ALEXANDER WOOD 20/29yrs (I think 29)

The boat was the ANNY and all men were listed as drowned on Jan 20th 1887, all came from PORTSOY.

Offline alexena

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Lost at Sea 1887
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 23:48 GMT (UK) »
The sail boat Annie was in collision with the steam trawler St. Clement of Aberdeen, as reported in the Banffshire Journal dated January 25th 1887.
The Annie was a new boat belonging to James Paterson, coal merchant and fish curer.
John Slater the skipper leaves a widow and four of a family
James Slater brother of the skipper was twenty two and unmarried
Robert Slater aged twenty one,cousin of the skipper was unmarried but supported his mother.
William Pirie leaves a widow and eight children, one of them an infant ten days old
George Currie leaves a widow and family of seven.
Alexander Wood leaves a widow and two children
George Goodbrand aged twenty four and William Goodbrand aged seventeen were brothers and unmarried.
I thought this would be of interest to you.

alexena
Campbell, Phimister, Thain - Findochty, Banffshire
Smith(Bo), Bain, Imlach - Portessie, Banffshire
Phimister - Caithness
Robertson, MacPherson - Sleat, Skye
MacLennan - Ross & Cromarty
Mackintosh, Shaw - Inverness

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 16:29 GMT (UK) »

Hi Alexena, amazing I've just walked in to the "Mitchell" to see if I could find anything  about this incident. I hadn't checked  my e-mail so thought I'd do it here , what a surprise you gave me!

I wonder if the Goodbrands were the brothers of John Slater's wife Bathia Goodbrand?

Thanks Val

Offline alexena

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val,

I just noticed your posting last night when I was browsing through Banffshire and the incident rang a  bell. I have a book ' A Sea-faring Saga' written by James Slater where I got the information from. James Slater was married to the granddaughter of William Pirie (one of the crew who was lost on the Annie) He has written several books about Portsoy and the fishing, I met him and his wife one time when I was at Portsoy many years ago. It does look as if the Goodbrand brothers were related to Bathia. I don't think it is a common name in that area. What a tragic time it must have been for those families. Glad to have added a wee bit of info.

alexena
Campbell, Phimister, Thain - Findochty, Banffshire
Smith(Bo), Bain, Imlach - Portessie, Banffshire
Phimister - Caithness
Robertson, MacPherson - Sleat, Skye
MacLennan - Ross & Cromarty
Mackintosh, Shaw - Inverness

Offline webweaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 February 09 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this and have just discovered your posting about JOHN SLATER. He is also my great grandfather. His daughter Mary Slater is my grandmother. She came to Canada in 1907 and married Andrew Methven. I am very interested in information about my grandmother Bathia Slater and her children Isabella and Jeannie and their children.

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 09 04:41 GMT (UK) »

Hi Cousin Webweaver, welcome to RC, John's daughter Isabella was my Grandmother.

I've lost some details off my lap-top ,will have to go through my paper work but this will take time so here's what I  have now.

BATHIA GOODBRAND b 29th Aug 1861 Fordyce BANFF. Mother-JANE GOODBRAND.

Bathia married JOHN SLATER 1880 Portsoy

Children- MARY b 1880
               ISABELLA b1884
               JEANNIE b 1888

You will see from Alexena's posting that it was reported that John left a widow and  FOUR of a family.

Bathia's mother Jane Goodbrand married William Sutherland 6th Sept 1868 Boyndie BANFF. They had at least two children, Mary 1872, William 1874 both born in Fordyce.

Almost forgot, Bathia remarried in 1895 to a JOSEPH ROBERTSON.

Hope this helps    Val

Offline webweaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 February 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val Thank you so much for your reply. I was surprised by the four children Bathia was reported to be left with since I believe she only had three. I would like to know if when Bathia  remarried to Joseph Robertson in 1895 if they had any other children. Did Joseph bring children into the marriage? I would also like to know about the children of Isabella and Jeannie. I have a number of old pictures of a young man and on the back is written "cousin Willie". I do not have any idea who it is. I could copy and send it if you think you might be able to help.

Thanks
Diane

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 February 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »

Hi Diane, lovely to hear from you. Just on my way to bed (early start to-morrow). Will get back to you soon.

Val

Offline webweaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val

I have recently come across some old pictures and wonder if you recognize these people. Could it be our great grandmother Bathia with two daughters and a grandaughter?  I would love to know.

Diane