Author Topic: Still Births  (Read 6792 times)

Offline CalamityJane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Still Births
« on: Sunday 08 June 08 19:12 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if any record was kept of still births in the early 40's, Manchester area.

I had a brother, who died being born, and I'm wondering if there would be any sort of record kept of that event.

Many thanks, Jane
Bellinger, Ireland, Smith, UK

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Still Births
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 June 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

There was no requirement to register the birth of a child who was born dead.  If the child was breathing when born and then died - that was classed as a living birth and needed to be registered.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 June 08 20:06 BST (UK) »
Registration of stillbirths in the UK began in 1927 http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/xsdataset.asp?vlnk=3806

Access to certificates is only available to parents and very close relatives.

More info http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/living/4610.html

Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 June 08 22:21 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CalamityJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 June 08 02:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much!

That baby (boy) would have been my brother. I recall my mother saying he strangled in the birth canal (she had congenital hip dislocation). Because of that I was born in a private nursing home...........would love a birthdate and name though, just some proof. How grateful I'd be for a brother, even now.

I have checked the links given, and wonder if anybody would know if I would be eligible to have a copy of my brother's birth certificate. I'm not a parent obviously, and am guessing his birth occured between 1937 (my parents marriage) and 1947.

.........thanks.........

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 June 08 16:45 BST (UK) »
The stillbirth certificates are requested from the GRO on a special form which I understand can be requested on line.
They are available to siblings if the parents are both dead, although proof of their deaths is required.
I got this information to send for my sister's certificate but discovered it made me feel very emotional just to think about it, she would have been 13months older than I and somehow although I probably wouldn't be here if she had lived it's still very emotional confirm that I'm now an only child and really did have a sister.
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline CalamityJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 June 08 17:21 BST (UK) »
The stillbirth certificates are requested from the GRO on a special form which I understand can be requested on line.
They are available to siblings if the parents are both dead, although proof of their deaths is required.
I got this information to send for my sister's certificate but discovered it made me feel very emotional just to think about it, she would have been 13months older than I and somehow although I probably wouldn't be here if she had lived it's still very emotional confirm that I'm now an only child and really did have a sister.

I understand. My situation is very similar. I wonder if I can get the form online. I live in Canada now which seems to add road blocks here and there!

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 11:56 BST (UK) »
They can only say no if you ask.  So I would give it a try - the lady I talked to at WDYTYA live actually was the one who dealt with Stillbirths and she was very nice.
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

My mother's brother was still born.  My Grandmother's doctor believed in allowing nature to take its course and she carried the child for 10 months.  When she finally went into labour this lasted 48 hours and left her temporarily paralysed.  My Grandmother (backed up by the midwife) believed that the doctor actually broke the child's neck when he delivered him.

My mum obtained a copy of the Stillbirth certificate about two years ago (both my grandparents have sadly passed away) and I'm sure she didn't need to provide any evidence that her parents were dead or any proof of her relationship to the child.  I telephoned the GRO on her behalf and they were brilliant - very understanding and helpful and it took about 7 days to come through (after we filled out the form).  Although it didn't tell us anything we didn't already know, it was wonderful just to have some proof of this little life, even though he never drew a breath.

My Grandmother never got over the loss of her child and it was very emotional when the certificate came through but very worth while.

I wish you all the best

Anne-Marie

Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent