Author Topic: Urgent: Missing Hodge (Collins) Homechildren  (Read 24314 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent: Missing Hodge (Collins) Homechildren
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 04 September 08 15:51 BST (UK) »
 Hi again before I walk the dogs! I went to the 1901 census.

First for broader interest I think I found another home child , John Haris, servant to  a very large Gould family, single born Dec 23 1887 age 13,   
District:   ON RENFREW (North/Nord) (#110)
Subdistrict:   Ross & Cobden (Village) I-3 Page 7, ref 43 ,67

Then I found:

10,19,86   Gould, Robert   M Head Single    born June 1 1871 age 29 Farmer
Subdistrict:   Bromley, RENFREW (North/Nord), ONTARIO
District Number:   110
Subdistrict Number:   c-1
Archives Microfilm:   T-6493

What is wrong is he is a farmer but he may have turned to mining by 1910, who knows!

L-J
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

This is truly an awesome thread!

I have just had a look at the link posted by J.J. (#65) and it looks to me that the word Collier is on the next line after Chessman, Geo. and appears to be be the name of the next boy on the list?

George Chessman can be found on the 1911 census with Robert Gould, Farmer; Ontario/Renfrew North/7 Bromley Township/p. 15. (This should be the same Robert Gould L-J found on the 1901 census and the Dunmore Robert George Chessman was sent to.) Unfortunately, there is no Francis Hodge in this household.

Regards,
Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the fray, Polar Bear and  very well done!

That clears up alot of misconceptions and silly musings on my part! This must be the right Gould and Francis either has moved on by 1911 or gone back to Fairknowe, or gone back to Scotland. Outward bound passenger lists for 1910-1911 might find him. I have been messaged that Dunmore is  likely in the Township of Beverley in the County of Renfrew. Beverley sounds like Bromley to me but I need to check this out too.
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:55 BST (UK) »
And it just dawned on me that he would have to have a reason to be writing to Quarriers for his birth certificate in October of 1910.... was he migrating again maybe back to Scotland or perhaps to the US or????  L-J
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 04 September 08 20:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that mistake, I had trouble reading the page as names are all bundled together, with no double spaces or punctuation other than commas...

Went back to Library this morn, nothing of great significance to report...looked at all directory listings for 1918 to 1922 and nothing for any lady Hodge...
There was one listing 1920 for a Frank Hodge, but may be the one of similar age from CEF signups, from Devonshire England...
also looked through odd numbers from 1941 to 48 and the only Down with a familiar name was an R. (with the same forename as the daughter Mrs. Mabley)...working at various jobs for the Winnipeg Electric Company ( city elec. streetcar service) Street listings revealed that she was in an apartment under her name only *SIGH*

No other Norman or Richard in any of those years, and no one of significance at 40 Whitehall

Too bad Elizabeth's daughter  didn't say where they lived most of their lives, but I am guessing Alberta...

Odd that neither Elizabeth Sinclair Hodge, Nor our Norman Richard Down show up anywhere in Winnipeg around the time of their marriage here!

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 04 September 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello L-J,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I was off having fun over the long weekend!  I could not find Elizabeth's obituary in either of the main Vancouver daily newspapers.  I checked October all the way up to the inurnment date of 17 November but no luck.  I then wondered if she perhaps died earlier and since R.M was in California, it took some time for the family to complete the burial.  So I called the very nice people at Ocean View Cemetery again and asked if they could please look up the full records for a death date.  They are a bit short staffed due to staff holidays after the long weekend but I'll post an update when I hear back from them.

They did not have a record as to whether there is a headstone for Norman and Elizabeth.  But if the family is interested in a photo, I can go out there this weekend and check it out.

Lynwen 
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 04 September 08 22:59 BST (UK) »
Ocean View called me back - Elizabeth died on 4 Nov 1997 in a Senior's Home in Burnaby.  Burnaby is a suburb of Vancouver and has some small local papers but most obituaries are published in the Vancouver Sun or Vancouver Province.  I would think that since Elizabeth lived in Vancouver, the obituary (if there is one) would be in the Vancouver papers.  But luckily the Burnaby Public Library is very close to Ocean View Cemetery so I'll try and pop in on Sunday and see if I can find anything in the Burnaby papers.

I must say, the people in the Family Services dept at Ocean View are really very nice and incredibly helpful!

Lynwen
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 05 September 08 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynwen, I very much appreciate your hunt for the obit and a photo of a grave site/stone would be most welcome. I would send it to Quarriers and John. I did send an email to OceanView asking for help ...perhaps they are replying through you which is great. I will also follow up on your long-shot message.
And thanks J.J. for all your perseverence! we will find them in the end! L-J
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 05 September 08 16:13 BST (UK) »
I'm posting the long-shot here in the hope that our RC friends in Toronto can dig up a bit more info.

There is a Christine A. Hodges listed in a OneWorld Tree on ancestry with a date of birth of 16 Dec 1900 in Edinburgh.  The remaining details are a bit off but L-J confirmed with the compiler that he obtained the info second hand so there is hope that this could be our Christine.  The tree also lists Christine's marriage to James Lawrence Posgate (no date) and her date of death, 30 Oct 1983, in Toronto.  Christine and James had a daughter born in Toronto in 1930.  One last bit of info, James Posgate died in Toronto in May 1958.

Can anyone do a lookup for the obituary of Christine Posgate in October 1983?  Or a marriage in the late 1920's?

Thanks,
Lynwen
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire