Author Topic: Can any genealogy software print your entire family tree?  (Read 90386 times)

Offline Cat_Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can any genealogy software print your entire family tree?
« on: Friday 24 October 08 11:16 BST (UK) »
I would like to be able to print out my entire family tree and I have not been able to find any software that will let me do so, having only the option of a 'descendant' or an 'ancestor' chart which obviously misses out the results of research discoveries, such as cousins, spouse's siblings etc etc.

Obviously it would may have to be over several pages with some complicated links but is this possible with any of the software available, either free or purchasable?

I'd also like software in which you had the ability to choose the size of printing and over how many pages just as you can with most microsoft/windows programmes.

Would love some advice, particularly on free or inexpensive programmes?

Or just which software is considered the best and most flexible and why?

McCotter -  Adams - Shaw (Kilrea, Co. Derry)
Gilpin - Magennis - Abraham (Knocknamuckley / Seagoe, Co.Armagh)
Chambers - Walker (Belfast / Newtownards)
Gillespie - McCullagh (Portadown, Co. Armagh)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can any genealogy software print your entire family tree?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 October 08 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

I'm sure that there is an option in Family Historian to print all relatives. 

However, you would need to either get roll paper or stick lots of sheets together if you wanted to read all the information.

Gadget

added - site link:

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 October 08 12:00 BST (UK) »
Here we are -  a quote from the site :

The All Relatives diagram - unique to Family Historian and greatly enhanced in version 3 - really does allow you to view all your relatives (including in-laws) in a way that looks great and is easy to understand. Relatives of the same type (all first cousins, all second cousins, etc) are laid out in the same row; so you can read off how people are related, from the (optional) row labels.

The new Everyone diagram shows everyone in your family tree file, and all of their relationships.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 October 08 15:05 BST (UK) »
There are only four or so programmes that can do a complete print out, Family Tree Maker being one (it also allows text font, colour and size to be changed too).

To be honest though the standard programmes available don't have the range of tree printing options you might want or have the options to display the details very clearly.

A large tree on FTM will cover dozens of A4 sheets, just checked mine, it covers 154 sheets of paper, has just under 800 names and spans 11 generations, around twenty five sheets would be blank and another 20 or so would have just one or two individuals showing.
Looking at mine i can't even follow it back properly, the layout is so confusing as some lines cover just a handful of generations and another line covers several more.

The best option is to get it done professionally but it depends how big your tree is and if you really want to include everyone. It's often better to do several smaller tree prints for specific surnames or family groups, or alternatively create ancestor/descendant trees based on an individual.

Ron and Carole at genealogyprinters.com do a cracking job at a decent price and their facilities have far better options for layout and display, when you consider the expense of software, paper and ink it might be best to go direct to them.

Glen

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 October 08 15:12 BST (UK) »
The FTM sounds like Family Historian - you can view the whole tree but it's a real complicated mess with lines all over the place. I've had FH for years and I'm still useless with it, so perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 October 08 15:15 BST (UK) »
I have not found anything that will print the whole tree.

As Gadget says there is an option in FH to show "all relatives", but you have to specify a starting point. Side trees do not show or print as they are not relations of the starting person.

Rog

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 October 08 15:16 BST (UK) »
Don't think so Ruskie  ;D

It's just that printing out our whole tree would look like a great big thicket  :-\

FH is by far the best program for this though because you can play around with the chart until it looks as you want it.

Gadget

Added - Rog - see my quote above -there is an option to 'Show Everyone'

Offline redkop

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Freddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 October 08 15:31 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but these printers will make a complete tree for you, including photo's if you have them. I have seen a sample of their work and it is very good.

www.genealogyprinters.com

Red   :)
MCLENNAN - Inverness Scotland and Liverpool
WHITTAKER - Offaly Ireland
MILLER. HURST, BALL. DUTTON. BIBBY, MORGAN, GASKELL - Liverpool
ELLIS - Plymouth, Devon
COLLINS - Bishops Castle, Shropshire.
MASON. MILLER - Runcorn/Chester
ROWLAND - Widnes, Lancs.
CHARLTON - Bury, Lancs
GREGGS - Cumbria
BRISCOE - SHERLOCK - Cheshire
VOCE - Warrington, Lancs

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 October 08 15:38 BST (UK) »
The FTM sounds like Family Historian - you can view the whole tree but it's a real complicated mess with lines all over the place..............

Definately a mess in FTM, i rejigged the sizing slightly to make it clearer, it doesn't help much but would now cover 312 sheets of A4!!

in the screengrab of my tree i am circled in red (born 1966 btw!!). If you could follow it 4 pages left and seven pages down you would find my first cousin, (bear in mind we are the same generation!!!!), then fiddle around left, right, up and down along his lines you would find his 3 grt g/f born c1815.......who just happens to be the man in the blue highlighted box not far away form me in the tree printout.

At last i think that is right, it really does take some following.