Author Topic: William Paul, Scotland to NY in 1845 COMPLETED WITH MANY THANKS  (Read 2982 times)

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Paul, Scotland to NY in 1845 COMPLETED WITH MANY THANKS
« on: Sunday 07 June 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
First of all I should apologise if I have the wrong board.  I'm needing a lookup, but not sure what I need looked up.  I know that sounds pathetic, but I have no idea where to start searching in the USA as until now all my searching has been Scotland, England, New Zealand or Australia.

I have been searching for a William Paul, born 1824 in Scotland (for 10 years) and recently noticed that a William Paul arrived from Scotland into New York aboard the vessel "Ann Harley" on 2 July 1845, aged 21.  So far this looks a good 'fit'.  There is no sign of him after the 1841 census in either Scotland or England and can't find a death record for him in either of those countries, so believe that he may have emigrated.  His father's name is John Paul and mother's Ann Filshie.  William's occupation was a tailor, but he may not necessarily have taken up that occupation again.  His father was a farmer.

I need help.  Is there a central US Death Registry or do I need to search state by state in order to find a death record for this William?  Your assistance would be really appreciated.  In return, I would be more than happy to assist in any New Zealand or Australia research. ???
PAUL - from Scotland to New Zealand

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Paul, Scotland to NY in 1845
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Death records are generally held state by state.  If he stayed in New York (many immigrants to NY didn't), with the exception of a few cities, the state didn't start maintaining death records until 1881.  Your best bet may be to check census records and see if you can find a likely match.  You can find some census records from 1850 and beyond for free here:  http://labs.familysearch.org/

Offline OmahaBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 09 01:27 BST (UK) »
There's a good match for William in the 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880 US Federal Censuses. This is the only William Paul, born about 1824 in Scotland. So if your William Paul came to the US, this is likely him.

1850 DeKalb Township, DeKalb County, Illinois. William, 26, b. Scotland, with Isabel Paul, 19, b. Scotland, and Andrew Bancley, 7. The 1850 census doesn't list relationships, but you could infer a wife in Isabel and possibly her brother.

1860 Deerfield, Chickasaw County, Iowa. William, 36, Isabella, 29, William, 7, Flora, 2. Again no relationships, but probably wife and two children.

1870 Lester, Black Hawk County, Iowa. William, 46,  Isabella, 39, William, 17, Flora, 11, Clara, 10, Lizzie, 4, and John, 1.

1880 Saint John's, Summit and Pigeon Creek, Dakota County, Nebraska. William, 56, Isabelle, 48, Jane, 14, John, 11, and Agnes, 8.

I don't see William or Isabella in 1900, probably died by then. (No 1890 census records survive). So unless they moved again, or moved to be with children, they could have died in Dakota County, Nebraska. You'll need to work at the county level for records (church, cemetery, etc.)--there is no public index of deaths in Nebraska.

Good luck!

MWB
Omaha, Nebraska

Offline OmahaBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 June 09 01:53 BST (UK) »
There are several submitted tress online at Ancestry that show this family--so you've got American cousins working on the line.

William Paul died 18 Mar 1894 Emerson, Nebraska.
Isabella Ewing Walker Paul died 9 Mar 1890 in Sioux City, Iowa (across the river--maybe in a hospital).

William born Largs, Scotland, to John Paul and Jane, on 12 Jan 1824. Isabella born 25 Dec 1831 Milport, Cumbrae Isle, Scotland.

I think you can access these trees via Rootsweb, too.

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Paul, Scotland to NY in 1845 COMPLETED WITH MANY THANKS
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 July 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, but as this William Paul's mother is named Jane, he is not mine.  It was worth a shot, so many thanks anyway.
PAUL - from Scotland to New Zealand