Author Topic: Death of Charles Harvey  (Read 3800 times)

Offline dizer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Charles Harvey
« on: Wednesday 05 August 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Could anyone possibly look for the death of Charles Harvey please. He was born in 1824 in Bunham-on-Crouch, Essex UK.  He moved with his wife Mary Ann and their son Frederick Charles to Jersey about 1851(ish)  they had two further children - the last born 1856 - so he was alive then !  But by 1861, Mary Ann was back in Essex with her three children, but as the 'wife' of a completely different man.  So his death would be between 1856 - 1861.  Thank you
Turpin (Essex)  Challis (Essex) Chamberlain (Somerset) Harvey (Burnham Essex) Goodchild (Alton) Knights (Alton)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Charles Harvey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 09 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

In 1871, Mary is missing but James Fitch is shown as married and has Frederick and Emily Harvey still living with him

In 1881 - she's back with James

There is no marriage for James Fitch and Mary Ann Harvey on freebmd so I wonder if they ever actually married
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've checked all the deaths in Jersey for 1855 to 1861(ish) and cannot see a death for a Charles Harvey.

Was Charles the father of Frederick? The only reason I ask is that it may be necessary to extend the period for his death if he wasn't.

Stewart

Offline dizer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 09 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Thank you so much for looking for me.  Yes, Charles was Fredericks Charles' father and his last child was born in 1856.  Another post has said they too cannot find a marriage for Mary Ann and James Fitch - who she was living with by 1861.  It is of course quite possible Charles hadn't died but they had just gone their seperate ways.  Charles may also have reurned to the UK - but you put in that name and there are just hundreds of them !  However, when Frederick got married in April 1873, the certificate said "father - Charles deceased"  I ws hoping to have narrowed the possible years of his death when I found Mary Ann with another man - but I suspect this one may take some time to find.  Thank you once again.
Diane
Turpin (Essex)  Challis (Essex) Chamberlain (Somerset) Harvey (Burnham Essex) Goodchild (Alton) Knights (Alton)

Offline dizer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hello CaroleW

Thank you for looking at this conundrum ! You will see from my previous reply that Charles' death could now be anytime between 1856 and 1873 !
I have now traced Ann with James right up to her death in 1911.  James Fitch died earlier but did very well for himself being a coal merchant and in most of the cencus Mary Ann was 'living on own means' - more than she'd got if she had stayed with Charles Harvey no doubt !
Thank you again
Diane

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

Just had a thought whilst reading your response. Was CH a sailor coming from Burnham? The only reason why I ask is because I know of a list of "deaths at sea" which I hadn't looked at. It's a long shot but I'll have a look.

Stewart

Offline dizer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Charles was a mariner - and in Burnham that would usually be an oyster dredger.

Thanks for taking the time to look for me.  I've got to sign off now until tomorrow - just seen my car has a puncture and need to call the RAC ! how annoying.
Diane

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

I sometimes even surprise myself (nothing like blowing your own trumpet)!!

He died at sea.

There is an entry number 461 in the list that states:

Charles Harvey, 30 years, Burnham (1855), Susan Jane, drowned (1850).

The first date of 1855 is the date that he started paying into the Jersey Seaman's Benevolent Fund. Susan Jane is the name of the boat. The last date of 1850 should be the date he drowned. This should be 1856. Although the list is typewritten, the person who drew it up is notorious for his bad hand writing!

Although I've never done it, I'm told that you can get a copy of the death from the National Archives.

Stewart

Offline dizer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 19:57 BST (UK) »
Stewart

Big hug !!!  I have spent years looking for his death - it was only recently that I found out about the Jersey link !  I cant thank you enough for taking the time to find this information.  I shall most certainly be trying to get a copy of the cert.

Ever grateful
Diane