Author Topic: Naas Gaol, Prisoner for Tithe Arrears 1838  (Read 4218 times)

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Naas Gaol, Prisoner for Tithe Arrears 1838
« on: Tuesday 11 May 10 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have found a reference to a 75-year-old man, a publican and farmer, Peter Folliard, of Naas, who was arrested for Tithe arrears in 1838. He was kept at the Naas Gaol.

I have a couple of questions with which I hope other RootsChat members may be able to help me.

Were records kept about prisoners at Naas Gaol in 1838? If so, do they still exist and where can they be viewed?

Would useful records exist about publicans? and of insolvencies?

It is known that Peter Folliard's arrest was mentioned in the Freeman's Journal and before that the Register. Were there any local newspapers that may have dealt with issues in Naas in 1838?

Also, I'd love to contact anyone researching Folliard/Follard/Fullard etc. in Kildare, Dublin or Meath.

Thanks,
Aillin
Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk