Author Topic: IgorStrav/Royd Joint Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 17219 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
IgorStrav/Royd Joint Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 18 May 10 10:13 BST (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt and as you can see, it's a joint Hunt this week.  Let's see if the two can be joined up.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

Here are the details for Royd's and my Scavenger Hunt.  We'd really love to have some fresh eyes look at what we've found, and take us further.

This is a scavenger hunt for Royd’s ancestor  Daniel Cork(e) and my ancestor Richard Cork(e).[The name is spelled both ways in various sources]

We think they are brothers, but haven’t been able to prove it despite lots of research and help from the Kent board. Fresh eyes  much appreciated.

Both, on their marriage certificates, have father  Richard Cork(e), labourer. Both lived in the  same area of Kent.

Richard Cork jnr was baptised in Cudham, Kent, February 1840, son of Richard Cork and Jane.  Richard snr is a labourer, and travelling in work – the first suggestion this is a travelling family.
1861: Richd Cork, 19, Ordinary Seaman 2nd class, born Goodham, Kent, on HMS Britannia, Portsmouth.  Class/RG9 Piece/4483 Folio/23 Page/14
Naval records, show him born August 9th, 1841, Cudham, Kent.

Oct 1864, he marries my great great grandmother Eliza Miller (1846, Seal, Kent), in Sevenoaks, aged 23, as Richard Corke, occupation seaman, resident in Seal, father Richard Corke, labourer.  Eliza is shown as aged 20, but she was only 17, and 3 months’ pregnant with my great grandmother.

1871: Richard Cork with another “wife”(Charlotte Jane [Tolhurst]) aged 30, born Cobham, farm labourer, Northfleet, Kent. Class/RG10 Piece/896 Folio/12 Page/15

(1871 Eliza Miller Cork is with another “husband”.  All Eliza’s subsequent details are known).
Richard and Charlotte had daughter Charlotte in 1872, and son Arthur Friend Cork in 1873 in Chatham.  Oct 1874 they marry, but since Richard is still married, he uses his mother’s name, Cooley.
The family all take that name, and he lives and works in Chatham till he dies in 1896 as Richard Cooley. 

The Cooley connection helped us link Richard jnr to the correct family.
Father Richard Corke snr baptised in Stone, Kent, in 1812, son of Richard Corke, labourer, and Sarah.
In 1840 he’s at the baptism of son Richard jnr(as above), and  Feb 23rd 1851 in Pyrford, Surrey at the baptism of his son Stephen.

He may be the Richard Corke sentenced in Oct 1849,Folkestone, to six months for two counts of fraud.

1861 in Seal, Kent, with wife Jane (c1820, Chertsey), and children Jane (1842, Ightham), James (1848, Reigate), Eliza (1853, Seal), Alice (1856, Seal), and Elizabeth (1859, Seal).  Class/RG9 Piece/487 Folio/33 Page/4

Son Stephen is with his sister Sarah (1837, Seal) whose married name is Lowder/Louder, Wrotham. Class/RG9 Piece/ 486 Folio/102 Page/4. We have the details of Sarah's marriage to Peter Lowder, 1859, as Sarah Cooley.

Another child, Mary Ann (1862, Seal) was born before mother Jane’s death in 1867.
1871 widowed Richard is in Offham, Kent, with Stephen, Alice, Elizabeth and Mary Ann. Class/RG10 Piece/919 Folio/12 Page/16

1881 he is in Trottiscliffe, with another “wife”, and daughter Mary Ann with her illegitimate son. Class/RG11 Piece/903 Folio/28 Page/10

1891 he is living with “daughter” Sarah, (Sarah Lowder of the 1861), who may be his stepchild.  She was baptised in Seal, in 1837, as Sarah Cooley, mother shown as Jane Cooley, traveller.   She names Richard Cork as father on her second marriage to James Dalton, and in 1891 Richard is “father” living with her and James, Sundridge. Class/RG12 Piece/674 Folio/47 Page/2
Richard dies in 1891, in Otford.

The family used both Corke and Cooley names, probably because Richard Corke and Jane Cooley may not have married.  Eg daughter Jane Cork, baptised Ightham Dec 1842 as daughter of Richard and Jane,  is shown as Corke in the 1861.  However, she is Jane Cooley as witness at her brother Richard’s bigamous marriage, 1874 Chatham, and marries 1878 Chatham as Jane Cooley to John Hedges, giving father Richard Cooley, basketmaker.

Now for Daniel (c1845, Chelsea)

1861 in Shoreham, Kent, he is Daniel Clarke, aged 16.  We’re his place of birth is Chelsea, Mddx.   Shoreham is about 4 miles from Seal, where the Corkes are living. Class/RG9 Piece/487 Folio/100 Page/8

He marries Olive Martin in April 1870, Maidstone.  No family witnesses.

1871 in Offham, Kent, next door to Richard Corke snr  (as above) and close to Richard’s son James Corke, married to Harriet Parris (cousin of Daniel’s wife Olive).  Daniel is born Chelsea, Mddx. Class/RG10 Piece/919 Folio/12 Page/16

1881 Daniel is in Frindsbury, as is James Corke, a couple of doors away in Oak Street.  Daniel born Chelsea, Surrey. Class/RG11 Piece/881 Folio/28 Page/ 12

1891 in Eynsford, in 1901 and 1911 in Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey.  All these Censuses show pob Chelsea.  James Corke is not next door, but not far away  – in 1891 in Hoo, in 1901 back in Frindsbury,  in 1911 in Wainscott. 

Can anyone find the Corkes in 1851 which should have Richard Corke/Jane Cooley and many of their family, including Richard jnr and Daniel together?  Can anyone find a baptism for Daniel Corke – all the rest of the family we have the records for.  Was he really born in Chelsea?

Can anyone find the family in 1841?
Thank you!
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline kanskar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Robert Kirk c1890
    • View Profile
Re: IgorStrav/Royd Joint Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 13:03 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this Birth Reg from Freebmd:

Daniel Coolley - Jun 1845 Qtr  Chertsey 4-79  (Chertsey could feasibly be misheard as Chelsea)
Census info-Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Rodway London 19-20c
Kirk London/Brum/Coventry/London 19c
Blower Warwicks 19c
Syrett/Brewer/Cranwell London 19c
Punter Herts/London 19c
Whitrow/Hutchings/Leeworthy/Goldsworthy/May - Devon 19-20c

Stoodley Dorset/Hants/Wilts 18-20c
Cooper/Clark Broughton, Hants 18c
Moody - East Dean/Sherfield English Hants 18/19c
White  Aspull/Wigan, Lancs 19-20c
West/Angel/Johnson/Clark  S. Wilts 19-20c
Edwards  Wardour/Ansty, Wilts 19c

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kanskar, I think that may be a new one to us.......so thank you very much.  I did check for Corkes in Chertsey because I thought the same as you about mishearing the word Chelsea, but there were no Corkes registered.  I don't think Daniel ever learned to write so it was all by word of mouth.  By the way, I live in one of the areas you are interested in so will pm you to see if I can help you! 

Very grateful for your time.  R. :)
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
That's great, Kanskar, we hadn't come across that one before - I've just looked for it in An*****y, and on the actual listings for that quarter, the names go from Cooke to Coomb, with no Coolley, so perhaps there's a page missing.

Definitely worth a punt on the certificate, although it doesn't explain why all the other children (except Sarah in 1837) were baptised Cork.  However, I've just theorised that although Richard snr and Jane were together for the births of the other children, perhaps Richard was away for this birth, and Jane had to register the birth, and couldn't lie to the registrar about being married.

Very much appreciated that you trawled through all the info.   ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
Well, I've sent for the Daniel Coolley certificate so we'll see what happens with that.  I'm not that experienced at searching An*****y but I can't find anyone with that name on the 1851 when he would have been about 6 years old.  Can anyone advise?  Thanks. R.
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Truemans of Liverpool

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
You have Daniel down, as Daniel CLARKE...is this an error?

the marriage in 1870 to Olive Martin, he is listed as Daniel CORK
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 May 10 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy, no it isn't an error on our part anyway!  We are pretty sure it's 'our' Daniel but that he has been mistranscribed.  On 1881 he is Daniell with two 'll's' and on another census the name (either Richard or Daniel, can't remember off the top of my head) Cork comes out as Cocke.  Thanks for noticing though.  Regards. R. :)
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Truemans of Liverpool

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 May 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the Richard Clark in 1841, in Cudham? - he is just 7 months old
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 May 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Daisy...will take a look at that one. Richard is IgorStrav's 'baby' and Daniel is mine!!  So no doubt she will be pouncing on that find tonight!  Grateful for your time. R. :)
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Truemans of Liverpool