Hello from the U.S.A.
I am researching a Pinkerton family line who "had" to leave Scotland sometime after the Battle of Bothwell Bridge (1679) and who settled in the Ballymoney area of County Antrim. Family lore says 3 Pinkerton brothers emigrated from Scotland, probably from Ayrshire, after the Battle of Bothwell Bridge. The names of those 3 brothers: Robert, John, James. I've read a little about the Covenanters and the Battle of Bothwell Bridge. I understand the Pinkertons were connected with the Campbells of Argyll. Right now, I'm not sure if the family lore is just a good story or has a thread of truth.
The earliest information I have is for Robert Pinkerton, b. about 1770, Scotland, and his wife Jane Lockridge/Lochridge/Loughridge, b. about 1865, Scotland.
The only children of theirs about whom I know are 3 sons, all born in Ireland:
* Robert John Pinkerton, b. about 1797, Ireland; May have been called John
Married to Margaret Divine/Devine, b. about 1798, County Derry
They immigrated to Hebron, Washington County, New York in 1855, with passage paid for by a son, Samuel David Pinkerton, who immigrated in 1851.
Eventually, after the death of his wife, Robert John, returned to Ballymoney, County Antrim, where he died in 1876.
* James Pinkerton, b. about 1799, County Antrim
Married to Rachel Warwick/Warnick, b. about 1803 (or 1795), County Antrim
Eventually, the returned to Ballymoney, where they died and are buried in the Covenanter Cemetery, Ballymoney, County Antrim. I have a photo of their joint gravestone, along with a son, Andrew Pinkerton, d. 29 Aug 1884.
James, d. 29 Apr 1865, Ballymoney and Rachel, d. 24 Jan 1871, Newbuildings, Ballymoney
* Samuel Pinkerton, b. 1 Jan 1803, County Antrim
Married Mary Warnock, b. 1 Aug 1813, County Galway; Married 10 Apr 1841, County Antrim
Immigrated to USA in 1847 with 3 children; settling at Hartford, Washington County, New York and then moving to purchased farm land in Waupaca County, Wisconsin in 1853
Samuel d. 16 Oct 1892, Waupaca County, Wisconsin; Mary d. 19 Nov 1891
Andrew Pinkerton, son of James (b. about 1799) and Rachel Warwick/Warnick Pinkerton (b. 1795 or 1830) married and settled in Ballymoney. His wife: Nancy McCaw, b. 1847, Lisheegan, County Galway, whose mother's maiden name was also Pinkerton; married 2 Dec 1864 at Ballymoney Reformed Presbyterian Church, County Antrim.
* Andrew died in County Antrim 29 Aug 1894 and is buried in the Covenanter Cemetery, Ballymoney.
* Nancy McCaw Pinkerton died 27 May 1915.
* I have information of 5 children for them, all born at Ballymoney: Mary, b. 11 Oct 1867, d. 15 Jul 1890; Rachel, b. 22 Jul 1869, d. 2 Sept 1943; Anna, b. 15 Jun 1871; Samuel, b. 16 May 1876; and Sarah P., b. 19 Oct 1882
* Presumably some or all of them have descendants who are still in and around Ballymoney today.
If anyone has any tips or information on this Pinkerton family in Ireland or back to Scotland, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you -