Author Topic: DAWSON/SOPER in St Albans  (Read 3027 times)

Offline NancyEllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
DAWSON/SOPER in St Albans
« on: Tuesday 19 April 05 06:10 BST (UK) »
I need help in parish registers of St Albans.  I cannot find a marriage for a Beatrice Dawson, dau of Robert and Mabel Lillian (Soper) Dawson who should have married there 1935-1945.  I have checked CV to no avail.  Can anyone recommend anything else for that timeperiod?
Bermondsey, Surrey:  Soper
Andover, Hampshire:  Soper, Marchment, Piper, Cole
Landbeach, Cambs: Cooper, Waldock, Wallis, Adams
Waterbeach, Camps: Rowell, Bull

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson/Soper in St Albans
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 15:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome Nancy Ellen :)

It might be easier to check the GRO indexes than the Parish Records.  They are now online -  pay to view at 1837 online.  You can also search them in person at your nearest LDS FHC worldwide or County Record Offices and larger libraries in the UK.  I am not familiar with the abbreviation "CV" in relation to family history, so I am not certain what it is that you have already checked.

All of Herts Records are stored at HALS.  If you cannot visit in person, they offer a research service.  Simple queries taking less than half an hour would cost £5.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/halsremote/halsresearch

Rick :)
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color]
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NancyEllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 06:10 BST (UK) »
CV was my own abbreviation for Civil Registration.  Is GRO the same thing?  I still have quite a few credits on 1837 but have searched the years 1935-1945 and just cant find a marriage for Beatrice Dawson.  I do find the death of her brother Ernest Samuel Dawson on Ancestry.com along with a marriage that fits all in St Albans.  Do not find a death record for their parents Robert and Mabel Lillian (Soper) Dawson
Thanks for all help, Nancy

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Nancy

Yes - the GRO indexes or General Register Office Indexes are indeed the same thing.  Sorry for the confusion.

If the marriage isn't there, then it would be logical to search the church records BUT unfortunately, there are so many churches in St Albans that it would take a lot of time to go through them all.

All I can really suggest is to extend the search period on the indexes :(

Offline NancyEllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 15:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I do have the date of death for her brother Ernest Dawson who died in April 1987 at age 74 in St Albans.  We are very big on obituaries here in the US, do most people go to the trouble of having that done there?  Is there searchable newspapers during that time? :(

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I do have the date of death for her brother Ernest Dawson who died in April 1987 at age 74 in St Albans.  We are very big on obituaries here in the US, do most people go to the trouble of having that done there?  Is there searchable newspapers during that time? :(

The "Herts Advertiser" is probably your best bet, but they do not have a searchable online archive, so you would need to contact them.  Failing that, then HALS has a huge newpaper archive but again this is not searchable online.

http://www.hertsad.co.uk/content/herts/default/default.aspx

http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/halsremote/halsresearch

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 11:08 BST (UK) »
Are you still looking for this?

If you are, let me know as much detail as you have and I'll see what I can find.  I can certainly find the obit for Ernest (if there is one).  Not such a definite thing over here - depended entirely on the family. 
The marriage records would not be easy unless you've managed to narrow the search date because there are quite a few churches and lots of marriages in each!!

Julie
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline NancyEllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DAWSON/SOPER in St Albans
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 16:40 BST (UK) »
I am still working on this family.  I did find a death for Ernest Soper in 1987 in same area.  I checked the civil registration and think I found a marriage in index.  Doesnt look like they had children.  I also checked Civil reg for his sister Beatrice from 1930-1951 and found nothing but I have found some Beatrices that died there (per ancestry.com) that could fit her.