Author Topic: famhistbuff's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 22044 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
famhistbuff's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:00 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt and it's a 'corker'.   I'm sure you'll have a fun time doing this.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

I am looking for the origins of my 4th Great Grandfather, James Butler, aka James Mostyn, born London approx 1791.  Here is James' story as I know it...

James was tried and convicted (with William Marsden) at the Old Bailey on 16 January 1807 and sentenced to death.  This was commuted to trasportation for Life as James was only about 15.  He was kept on board various prison hulks then finally transported to Sydney on board the Admiral Gambier, arriving 20 Dec 1808.

He was pardoned in 1815, and married Mary Francis (daughter of convicts Thomas Francis & Honora Collins)  in 1816.  They had 14 children   and he lived to the ripe old age of 89, dying in May 1880.

The problem I have is that somewhere along the line James started going by the name James Charles Mostyn (Moston) - this is what he and his wife were buried as, and all of the children also went by this name.  He was married as James Morson, although on the 1828 census he was listed again as Butler.

His death certificate has his parents as William Mostyn, Hatter and Phoebe Frame.

All of his trial, prison,  transport records etc are under the name James Butler.  His middle name was Charles.

I have found an entry in The Times from his trial which said he was a footboy to a Gentleman of Lincoln's Inn and that he had run away.

Apart from this and his trial, prison & transportation records I can find no trace of his existence before this time.  Was he Butler, was he Mostyn?  Was he actually born in London?  Or did he just make the whole thing up?!?!

Hoping the scavenger hunt can help.

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: famhistbuff's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:32 GMT (UK) »
good morning  :)
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:35 GMT (UK) »
may not be relevant but a Pheobe Mostyn married a Thomas Avery in Southwark in 1799
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:39 GMT (UK) »
who gave the information of James parents to the registrar upon his death?

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:40 GMT (UK) »

Morning Toni........ it's an interesting one isn't it       ;D ;D
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Are you looking for any of his NSW info or for his life before the Old Bailey ...

Re his change of surname ... I do know that the women in NSW were regularly noted in the various musters under the surname that they arrived with... (with variations allowed for spelling)... so for example a female convict who arrived in 1808 landed as WRIGHT .. this being her married surname, and she brought her youngest child with her.  Mrs W then had a long term relationship, and had his child.  Years and years later that couple married, with the special licence as per Gov Macquarie's rules.  Yet ever muster both before and after, and the 1828 census (marriage was 1821) has her surname as WRIGHT.  The daughter's birth is found at the NSW State Library's list of illegit births under her father's surname, but the NSW BDM online has it under her mum's surname.   I realise this info is about a female convict, but it is from the same era as your chap with two different surnames (BUTLER/MOSTYN/variations).  

Do you have a copy of the info from the NSW Col Sec's 1788-1825 papers, the index says it is his memorial (Petition to the Governor) 17 May 1820 ... it could make mention of his various surnames.  http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/default.htm  (This link gives you some idea of the numbers of men with the name James BUTLER in NSW in that era. )

Please try this link instead http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/colonial-secretary/index-to-the-colonial-secretarys-papers-1788-1825

Does his CP of 5 June 1815 help ... although I notice this too was issued to James BUTLER

How sure are you that the 1816 marriage was for your  James BUTLER ... could there be two different chaps...

Meanwhile, lets see if we can find either James BUTLER or James MOSTYN/MORSTON/MOSTON in Britain...
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Could be relevant

Phoebe Mustin 2yrs was buried in the Great Church Yard of St Bartholomew the Great  Nov 14th 1798

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William Mostyn hatter& wife Phoebe but not finding him or her.
We don’t know how old they were which isn’t helping but there does not seem to be many Phoebe Mostyns around.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:02 GMT (UK) »
According to NSW 1828 Census, James was then 38, ie born 1790,  I've not yet checked if the Old Bailey trial mentions his age to be able to back that up .... but I will try to check the other NSW musters...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.