Author Topic: Mary Hood  (Read 2397 times)

Offline BordersLass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Hood
« on: Wednesday 26 October 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, I would appreciate assistance on finding the birth certificate of my great great grandmother Mary Hood (Wilson) died aged 63 years on the 18 December 1898 of cardiac disease in Galashiels.  She married William Wilson 24 June 1897 in Galashiels.  I am assuming that she was born in the year of 1835 in Jedburgh.  Iíve tried to locate it through SP but no luck.  Perhaps Iím keying in something incorrectly?  According to the census in 1851, Mary and her family were living at 1 Duck Row Jedburgh.  William Hood was a Brewery Worker.  Was there a brewery in Jedburgh as I canít seem to find one from the past in my google searches?  I am also searching for the birth, death and marriage certificates of her parents William Hood and Ann Hood (nee Fairbairn).  In the 1851 census, William was   50 and Ann was 40.  Iím having problems with them as well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
BordersLass
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline LornaHen

• RootsChat Extra
  • A step backwards is great progress
    • View Profile
    • My extended family tree
Re: Mary Hood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi BordersLass
Here's a transcription of William's dth cert that I was kindly sent some years ago, with  my commentary:
Cert 792 #63 (28 Sep 1862) reads: William Hood, 61, married to Ann Fairbairn died 28 Sep 1862 at Deans Close, Jedburgh, son of Andrew Hood, ?caster?, and Mary Haugle?, (not a surname that appears in the whole of Scotland according to ScotlandsPeople - perhaps Haigh?) both dec., the cause given as irritation of the bladder, 1 yr, general debility, 6mths, inf. wife Ann
As to Mary's baptism record c 1836, I don't seem to have that either, but then not everyone was necessarily baptised, particuarly, it would seem, this family.
In general I have NOT found my FAIRBAIRNs  in the OPRs.
Ann FAIRBAIRN is my 2nd great great aunt.
Check out my web pages for further info on the FAIRBAIRN side of the family,
http://familytree.lornahen.com/spFAIRBAIRN.htm
and my WorldConnect db LornaHenderson
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lornahenderson&id=I36914
for the BDM data on all the rellies and their immediate connections as I currently know them.
Ann died in Nov 1891  Cert. shows her as widow of William Hood, workman in Brewery, d. 0:35pm aged 81 of bronchitis, 14 days, cert. by T Monies; Dtr of Walter Fairbairn, agricultural labourer and Agnes m.s. Robeson, both dec'd. Inf. son Andrew, present, reg. Nov 8th at Morebattle
If you contact me via the profile with your email address I can send you Ann's dth cert

Regards
Lorna
http://lornahen.blogspot.com/
SCT: Henderson, Wight, Sinton, Fairbairn, Bain, Manson, Davidson, Runciman, Familton
ENG: Rowe, King, Barter, Andrews, Turnbull, Baty, Graham
NZ: Henderson, Andrews, Rowe, Turnbull
http://LornaHen.com
http://dnasurnames.info/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi BordersLass

No, I don't think you are keying anything in wrong, but Scotlandspeople before 1855 only has the records of the established church. Jedburgh had three ' dissenting chapels', and there are records for two of Mary's siblings at the Relief or United Presbyterian Church, John Oliver Hood b 17th Oct 1841 and Isabella Oliver Hood chr 25.5.1845. The IGI batch only begins in 1840- possibly no records survive from an earlier date.
Pigot's Directory for 1837 has John Reid & Co listed as a brewer in Canongate, though it doesn't seem to have been a large concern. I see William Hood is a stockingmaker in 1841, living in the Canongate, so proximity to the brewery may have tempted him to change occupation.

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires† c 1800 Northowram

Offline BordersLass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Lorna, I have sent you a message to your inbox with information.  Thank you Lesley, I have sent you a message as well.  Your help is greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards

BordersLass
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire