Author Topic: birth Lookup 1808 Torpoint, Cornwall, PLEASE! COMPLETE  (Read 4279 times)

Offline LindsB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: birth Lookup 1808 Torpoint, Cornwall, PLEASE! COMPLETE
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 April 12 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi. I think Jonas may be the brother of my 4th great grandfather, Nicholas Jenkins, who was born in Torpoint in 1811. Their father was also Jonas.....this explains the confusion in the posts below and I have found multiple Jonas Jenkins in my research. I have the marriage cert of Nicholas, so am quite sure that Jonas Sr was a Naval Officer.

The Cornwall OPC database lists the marriage banns of a Jonas Jenkins adn Jane Bickford in St Just in Roseland.  At this time (1834) this Jonas was living in Romney Kent, which is where my Nicholas was based at the time (he married in Kent in 1837) so I suspect the Jonas and Jane marriage banns are for the Jonas born in Torpoint in 1808.

As to the Jonas and Jane living in St Just in the 1841 census, aged 60, this could well be the parents of our Jonas (1808) and Nicholas (1811)  The only thing that does not stack up for me is that in 1841 this Jonas and Jane have 3 younger children (Mary, Charles and Henry, aged 15 and 12) which would mean an 18 year age gap between siblings.  If anyone can hlpe me work this one out, I'd be grateful.

Regards, Lindsay

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 April 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
well, Henry belongs to one set of the Jonas & Janes

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=1267352

There are no relationships given on the 1841, so the 3 children could be grandchildren of the older Jonas & Jane. But there were more children in between Nicholas & the younger ones anyway. And remember that the ages in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 years so Mary & Charles are between 15 & 20.

Marriage of another son
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=533314

marriage of Mary, dau of Jonas & she's full age so 21 or over in 1845
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=533380
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 April 12 21:32 BST (UK) »
Having just done a little research off-line for Lindsay I came across another piece of information about Jonas (1808). During the Crimean War he was one of the 2600 CGs who served in the Navy. He was on HMS Stromboli, qualifying for both the Baltic and Crimea Medals. At 47 he must have been one of the oldest men on the ship!

Martin
Coastguards of Yesteryear.