Author Topic: gardeners apprenticeships Completed  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
gardeners apprenticeships Completed
« on: Friday 15 June 12 18:37 BST (UK) »
This also has an Aberdeenshire connection.

George Donaldson b Langholm 1825 son of George Donaldson and Joan Reid became a gardener at Keith Hall,Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, eventually becoming head gardener.

I have not been able to trace him on the 1841 and 1851 census yet, but he is at Keith Hall in 1861 aged c 36.

His parents worked in the weaving trade and I am curious about how George became a gardener. Is/was there a local "big house" where he might have learned his craft ?

Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: gardeners apprenticeships
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
Mavals ,

Have you looked at the 1851 Census for George Donaldson b. c1826 "Langham" Dumfriesshire , living in Perthshire

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , The IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 12 08:36 BST (UK) »
If you assume Keith Hall, Inverurie refers to Keith Hall, the ancestral home of the Earls of Kintore, there would have been plenty of opportunities to train as a gardener at this "Big House"...

See:  http://www.keithclan.net/gallery.htm
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 July 12 18:54 BST (UK) »
Finally tracked down the 1841 census which has partially answered my question. He was working at Irving House in Langholm

Ev, I looked again at the 1851 census and agree it is him, so I have been able to track him as he progresses in his career .

And yes it is Keith Hall at Inverurie where he ended his career.

Now I need to find out why he was in Ireland a for a couple of years though. We know that as his son Percy won a prize at the local church!
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary