Author Topic: How to obtain Army Service Records 1922 to WW2 and to current time  (Read 4376 times)

Offline millymcb

  • Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • ********
  • Posts: 4,079
    • View Profile
How to obtain Army Service Records 1922 to WW2 and to current time
« on: Monday 28 January 13 20:46 GMT (UK) »
We are often asked how to trace records for Service Personnel who left the army from 1922 onwards including WW2 to current date.

The personnel records are still with the Ministry of Defence.

These are available to next of kin. Close kin such as a spouse may obtain the records for free, other next of kin may be required to pay a fee of 30.
You will need to supply specific details of the person you are asking about and other information to prove your next of kin status. See the link for more information.

This guide from the National Archives might help for Prisoners of War

For more general information, if you know the soldier's unit, then the Regimental Museum or the National Archives may hold some information, although these will be unlikely to contain any personal details.

This post is for general information - please start a new topic on the Main Armed Forces Board  or the WW2 Board (for specific WW2 queries) ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright