Author Topic: Mount Melleray School  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Marmitch

• RootsChat Member
Mount Melleray School
« on: Tuesday 07 June 05 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm searching for information on the school at Mount Melleray. Apparently my gt grandfather (John Mullane) attended the school for a time during the 1850s or 1860s as it was his 'local' school.
Does anyone know what aged children the school taught, and where I might find any records dating from that time that relates to the school.

Many thanks
MM

RootsChat is the country's busiest, largest free family history forum site. It's completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline andree

• RootsChat Extra
Re: Mount Melleray School
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 18:03 BST (UK) »
Mount Mellary is still there but its not a school anymore.  Its more of a retreat centre you will find it as Mount Mellary County Waterford.  Could be still belonged to the De la Salle brothers a religious order.  There is a visitor centre there. Good luck

Offline Marmitch

• RootsChat Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 05 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I'll perhaps have to look elsewhere for the answers,

Offline Annie91232

• RootsChat Extra
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 October 05 20:30 BST (UK) »
June 1845 Dom Vincent laid foundation stone of new school;  400 boys, mostly primary level.

Earlier - 1837 - a school for boys and another for girls were started by Peter Kenny and his wife, under Dom Vincent's guidance.

Have you written directly to Mount Melleray Abbey, Co. Waterford?  I am sure the records must still be there, although the schools no longer exist.

Offline Marmitch

• RootsChat Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I haven't yet written to the Abbey directly. I will do if and when I can find out more precise info as to when my ancestor was likely to have attended. I am presuming sometime between 1855 and 1865 at the moment.

MM