test

Author Topic: Mount Melleray School  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Marmitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mount Melleray School
« on: Tuesday 07 June 05 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm searching for information on the school at Mount Melleray. Apparently my gt grandfather (John Mullane) attended the school for a time during the 1850s or 1860s as it was his 'local' school.
Does anyone know what aged children the school taught, and where I might find any records dating from that time that relates to the school.

Many thanks
MM

Offline andree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mount Melleray School
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 18:03 BST (UK) »
Mount Mellary is still there but its not a school anymore.  Its more of a retreat centre you will find it as Mount Mellary County Waterford.  Could be still belonged to the De la Salle brothers a religious order.  There is a visitor centre there. Good luck

Offline Marmitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 05 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I'll perhaps have to look elsewhere for the answers,

Offline Annie91232

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 October 05 20:30 BST (UK) »
June 1845 Dom Vincent laid foundation stone of new school;  400 boys, mostly primary level.

Earlier - 1837 - a school for boys and another for girls were started by Peter Kenny and his wife, under Dom Vincent's guidance.

Have you written directly to Mount Melleray Abbey, Co. Waterford?  I am sure the records must still be there, although the schools no longer exist.

Offline Marmitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I haven't yet written to the Abbey directly. I will do if and when I can find out more precise info as to when my ancestor was likely to have attended. I am presuming sometime between 1855 and 1865 at the moment.

MM