Author Topic: William Noble 1723 - 1811  (Read 598 times)

Offline Reeni1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Noble 1723 - 1811
« on: Saturday 13 April 13 13:03 BST (UK) »
I am researching my 6th great grandfather William Noble.  Born 20th October 1723, Newlands, Peebles - he died of old age on 23rd Mary 1811 at Infirmary Street, Edinburgh.  William was a school teacher.  I know he was in Edinburgh from 1772 when 5th great grandmother Janet (jessie/jesica) Noble was born.  There is no reference to his wife's name.  I have found references to him in Edinburgh Post Office Directories from 1774 - 1800 which sees him move from Flesh Market Close to Niddry's Wynd, then Potterrow and finally Bristo Street.  In the later directories he is listed as a teacher of languages.  I would love to find out:
When he moved to Edinburgh?
The path to becoming a teacher at that time?
His wife's name and date of marriage?
Did they have any other children?  Janet is born when he was 49!
Any information about where he might have taught?
Where he might be buried?
He lived at a fantastic time in the history of Edinburgh with the construction of South Bridge and the New Town, perhaps he rubbed shoulders in Parliamentary Square with some of the great philosophers of the day or maybe he taught in the poor parish schools.  Any information or new sources to search would be appreciated.  I live on Isle of Bute so do all of my research online.