Author Topic: Location of PG70, Monturano  (Read 38063 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of PG70, Monturano
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Mamo

Thank you for the explanation of the name which has always been something of a mystery.

If you have more information and pictures that can be posted in this forum then it would be appreciated by all the contributors.

Offline hazedays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 00:20 GMT (UK) »
I bumped into this blog and read that somebody is looking for Camp PG70 in Monturano (also written Monte Urano). I live near it and often go there to fly at the nearby airfield.
I am the woman who translated "Escape from Ascoli" by Ken the Souza into Italian and the daughter of the sea-captain who was in charge of the mission to rescue him and other English soldiers.
I am glad to say that right yesterday evening I was at a meeting with important people of the Fermo province who have a project for giving new life to the ex-prison camp without changing its premises.
Moreoves in May the fourth "Freedom Trail" will be held there and if interested you may contact me (I generally tell the English people who participate in it the story of the camp and the rescue missions along the coast) or E.L.M.S. (Escape Lines Memorial Society) whose President, Roger Stanton, will be glad to give you all the necessary information.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello hazedays. Welcome to Rootschat. Thanks for your interesting post.

In addition to replying on the thread, we also have a personal message system (for when people want to exchange personal information, email addresses or details about living people).

You need to have made two posts in order to send or receive messages by PM. If you reply to this it will be activated and people will be able to contact you..

Regards

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Fascinated by Hazeday's reply. I have read Ken de Souza's book and have exchanged some emails with his son about the location of the camp.

I would certainly be interested in hearing more about what is being planned in May. As you will see from this thread I have visited the camp but wasn't able to gain access. I now even know which compound my father was in and it would be interesting to identify that.

Offline hazedays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
glad to know you were fascinated by my reply but since I am Italian, would you mind explaining the abbreviations you are using to me? What does "PM" mean? (in "You need to have made two posts in order to send or receive messages by PM.")

I am willing to send you the pictures you require ASAP. Unfortunately my notebook fell down last week and my daughter, who studies electronic engineering, come down from her University town and was good enough to get 95% of the data. During the week I will check whether I still have all the pictures I had taken at the camp.

Last June I was invited by a friend from Fermo who wanted me to meet two brothers (whose father had given shelter to  two British soldiers escaped from PG70) who wanted to tell me about their experience. With the elements of the story I had I started to go and research at National Archives and BWM. I have been in England twice in four months which costs me a lot of money...

Maybe some of you could tell me about the men I am looking for? Their names are Eric MOSS and John Mc HUGH. Eric, a pilot, from Whitney was captured in Lybia and transferred to PG70 where he met John, an Irishman with whom he had planned to escape.

Could any of you be of some help?

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 15:38 GMT (UK) »
PM stands for Personal or Private Message. It just means you can exchange messages with someone without it appearing in the public forum.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 16:10 GMT (UK) »
And...To send someone a PM (private message) you click  the little square to the LEFT of their user name

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline hazedays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!!!
I have a wonderful piece of news for all of you, but now I'm starting to coach... Will tell you tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, please, could you tell me what the names and places I can see at the bottom of your messages are? These:

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Those are the names of the surnames and places of people I am researching in my family tree. You add them in your profile and then they show automatically in your posts.
Click on your name and go to "modify profile" and down to "surname interests"

You don't have to do it. And you don't have to put in so many names or the places. It is up to you.

Milly