Author Topic: England family, Rathmines, Dublin, 1900s  (Read 7314 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Abhannliath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: England family, Rathmines, Dublin, 1900s
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 November 14 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Oh, well found! This looks good; and if his two brothers had 'J' as a middle initial, which looks likely, then perhaps Frederick Joseph is our boy.

I was feeling rather sad for Richard; Ashdale Avenue is a definite step down in the world from Palmerston Road:

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Ashdale+Ave,+Terenure,+Dublin/@53.3143479,-6.2840934,3a,90y,18h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sTNuqXOQHJhhU6q5CWyo8iw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670c0a4aa1a55f:0x530148152982be3c!6m1!1e1

- not that this necessarily means that he was any less happy, obv.

The first two Frederick Joseph Englands seem to be different records:

GS Film number: 101576 , Digital Folder Number: 004199368 , Image Number: 00130
GS Film number: 101576 , Digital Folder Number: 004199368 , Image Number: 00104

(or maybe not; everything except the image number is the same). However, I can't see how to get a wife off this record; I used to be able to do this, but either the site has changed or I've forgotten.

Oho, and a bit of a newspaper ad from a Winnipeg paper that I can't read without signing up to some plutocratic site:

"Nora Constance, to Mr. Frederick Joseph England, of Katugastota estate, ... The _weddmg will take place in Dublin, March 1. fourth, and Mrs Wallls. fifth, in th…"

(Also, I think she may have been Nora Constance Owston.)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Abhannliath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: England family, Rathmines, Dublin, 1900s
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 November 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh, well done, Daithi!

Now all I need is to find out what our Fred did in Worthing!

Edit: apparently he was a tea planter

"A Fred J and Nora C England (aged 41 and 27) appear on the passenger lists on Ancestry traveling from Ceylon (Sri Lanka) to Hull in 1930. Fred is recorded as a planter with an address at Park Villa, Chaucer Road, Ashford, Middlesex."

Further news: Here http://www.historyofceylontea.com/Estates/view/1429 there's a reference to FJ England in Ceylon as an employee of KATUGASTOTA tea plantation - the same name I'd previously seen in relation to the Owston family (as a house name - growing up in Dun Laoghaire I often saw houses with exotic Indian names, which were called after Indian and Ceylonese and Afghani places their owners had served in).

And more places this FJ England managed http://www.historyofceylontea.com/Users/view/11113745