Author Topic: Who is this nephew?  (Read 5800 times)

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this nephew?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 11:12 BST (UK) »

Edward died in 1877.

Hi D ap D

Edward appears in the 1881 Wales Census.

RG11/5520
Maesgwyn, Broughton Denbighshire

Edward TENCH Head 76 Westbourne Sussex Retired Land Agent Farmer of 140 acres employing 12 labourers & 1 boy
Jessica TENCH Wife 60 Ruabon Denbighshire
Florence BEICH Neice 33 Single Wrockwardine Salop
Mary L BEICH Neice 25 Single Wrockwardine Salop
Ellen OWEN Servant 28 Single Anglesea LLanbedcoch Cook
Sarah JONES Servant 26 Single Brymbo Denbighshire Housemaid
William EDWARDS Servant 41 Married Llangollen Denbighshire ???lab General servant
Jane EDWARDS Servant 40 Married Llangollen Denbighshire Laundress Dom Serv.

Cheers
Genni

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 11:36 BST (UK) »
D

I have just found the Llewellyn from the 1851 census in Warwickshire in 1871!

Curses - I think this scuppers our theory!  ???

A
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the correction Gennig. I did have the following death index form the BMD:
Tench, Edward June Quarter 1881 Wrexham (1837-1974) Cheshire Denbighshire Flintshire, 11b / 228 Age 77

Got a bit mixed up with the year and his age - happens if you don't check properly before you post. :-[

Arranroots - not absolutely necessary. Llewelyn could be one of those cases who was emunerated twice. I've already got two such others. If he normally lived with his Aunty Jessy, but was in Warwickshire for some reason, he could have been emunerated for both places.

The problem with the Pickerings in 41 is that this census for Ruabon is officially missing. I do also have a fair bit of info from the IGI, but mostly the earlier christenings - none for this generation.

I'll put out a request for Thomas and Jane in 41, B'ham. See if that gives us any more usable info.

I think if you can find that Llewelyn in 61, then we can discount him.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 11:57 BST (UK) »
Can't find him in 1861 at the moment D.

In fact that was what encouraged me to think I had the right one in the first place - that and the PICKERING name.

Just double checking other years...

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 12:08 BST (UK) »
Yes - with his widowed mother in 1881 in Warwickshire.

The one we thought was correct was in Isle of Man 1881.

This begs the question of where he got the idea of Isle of Man as his birthplace?

~~~~~~~~----------
The nearest freebmd has to a marriage for Thomas is this:

Birmingham Vol 6d   Page 88
June quarter 1852

JONES Mary
LLOYD Thomas
PICKERING Ellen
SMITH Charles

More than one familiar name in there...

;)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 12:35 BST (UK) »
The names DO look promising, but still don't give enough to be certain.

Going from first principles:
If Llewelyn is a nephew, he will either be:
1) the son of his mothers brother
2) the son of his mothers sister
3) the son of his fathers brother
4) the son of his fathers sister

So if Jessy Tench, nee Pickering is his Aunty, then that discounts option 1.
Jessy's sisters were: Amelia and Mary.
Amelia married Edward Tench before Jessy did, so that would give the children the surname Tench.
Mary married John Beech.
So that discounts option 2
With the surname Lloyd, option 3 is discounted, so the only one left is 4. So we are looking for a marriage to a female Tench, in 1846 or earlier.

Edward was born in Sussex, so if his sister married in her home parish, this could well be in Sussex as well. Nothing in the BMD for marriages in Sussex at that time though.

I did however find:
Tench, Sarah December Quarter 1846 ,  Kings Norton, Staffordshire Warwickshire Worcestershire Volume: 18 / Page: 563 . But none of the male names are Lloyd.
So perhaps his middle name is Lloyd, and his surname Tench after all? He is emunerated as Tench in 91 and 1901.

As Edward is alive, Llewelyn is listed as visitor and nephew in 61 and 71 respectively. Jessy is also visiting Edward in 61. Could Llewelyn be an illegitimate child of Jessies?

There are also 2 Llewelyn Lloyds born in 1846 in Holywell, one in March the other in June. There is also one in 1848 in Wrexham (which looks the most promising). I thnik the only way to solve this is to order the certificate......
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 October 13 22:22 BST (UK) »
Did you ever solve this? I have also been looking at the Tench family while at Maesgwyn.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)