Author Topic: PATTINSON FAMILY (Guisborough)  (Read 8815 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: PATTINSON FAMILY (Guisborough)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 November 07 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't know what the connection might be with Mary O'Brien or John Douthwaite.

Nick, as the 1841 census doesn't give relationships, you have to guess a bit, but it just looks to me as if Mary O'Brien was head of household, 'Ind' - of independent means, and she had two servants, Douthwaite, and Ann - F.S. usually stands for female servant, which is why I said Douthwaite's was wrong, should have been M.S. male servant.  Y is for yes, born in county, and No is for not born in County.

The marriage comes up on Darlington's website for 1841 and you can click on the link to order it.

Kind regards, Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those tips on interpreting census records. Must confess no-one had ever explained that to me before !

I'm going to feel a little more efficient now ! But it's a fact that these little details can change a lot of things.

In this particular case (the O'Brien household) I don't think there was any necessary family connection between Ann and Mary O'Brien. It doesn't fit in with anything I know to date.  As you suggest, it may simply have been employer/employee.

As for the Robert Wright & Ann marriage, I had the 1642 date from the direct descendant of James, the son born in 1839. Maybe he made a typing error, because you are right in that the marriage records are for 1641.

Anyhow, once again, you have been more than helpful with advice. I don't regret finding Rootschat !

Best wishes,

Nick

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those tips on interpreting census records. Must confess no-one had ever explained that to me before !

Ancestry.com has some good information about the 1841 census
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01uq/ then scroll down to: for more information about this database 'click here'
One of the main things about the 1841 census is that adult ages were usually rounded down to the nearest 5, which can be very confusing.

Glad to have helped, best wishes,
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK