Author Topic: John Currie & Catherine Sellars, Isle of Arran  (Read 27465 times)

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Currie & Catherine Sellars, Isle of Arran
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 May 10 14:41 BST (UK) »
I am a little unsure of most of the information I have on this family.  I have discovered there were two John Currie and Catherine Sellars living in Arran at this time.  Also as you will be aware there are lots and lots of Currie's!!!

Here is what I have on my family;

Catherine Sellars born about 1810 in Achingallon, Kilmory. She died before Apr 1881.
Daughter of: Angus Sellars b Abt. 1766 in Kilmory, Arran, Bute, d Unknown and Mary Currie b Abt. 1770 in Kilmory, Arran, Bute, d Unknown.  married 31 Aug 1786 in Kilmory, Bute

John Currie born about 1811 in Achingallon, Kilmory. He died after Apr 1891. Parents unknown.

John Currie and Catherine Sellars married on 22 Nov 1831 in Shisken, Kilmory.
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline Colesville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 September 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Concerning your mention of the Curries on Bute,

My family legend says that my Great-Great-Great Grandfather was named Nathaniel Currie.  In 1790, my GGG Grandfather emigrated to Belfast to apprentice as a tailor and then moved to County Armagh.  I have detailed information on his sons and the succeeding generations. His eldest son (my ancestor) emigrated to Ontario, Canada to found the village of Glencoe.  However, I have been unable to verify any information concerning his existence and/or other information about the family in Scotland.

Would you have any information or places to look that might be helpful? 

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are A LOT of Curries in Arran.  I don't know of a "Nathaniel" in my family.  But it certainly is worth looking for some of your family.

I can sympathise with your problems researching Ireland.  I have family from there and it is very difficult to research.

Best of Luck  :)
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 April 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
I have a Catherine Currie in my tree. She was married to James McIntyre and was born in 1799 Argyllshire.
Marc

Offline Alain Currie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 August 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hey all you curries,My Grandfather John Currie was born in Arran and lived most of his life in Pirnmill.My son is also John Currie but we live in Stellenbosch South Africa.
John Currie senior was married to Grace Campbell.They had 4 children , Donald,Allan,  Morag and Janet.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 August 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Alain - and welcome!  :)

What's your grandfather's DOB? Maybe we can find you some (distant) relatives!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Alain Currie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 August 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
,He passed in 1991 at 89 years, presume he was born in 1902,i will check, he was born in the millhouse at Pirnmill,his one brother archie worked with him for many years on the Irene and the pirnmill ferry.he lived all his life on Arran.My Dad Donald and his brother moved to South Africa in the late 50s early 60 s both had 2 boys .Donald had my brother and Alain(me), and Uncle  had two sons. My Dad has passed on but my Uncle and his 2 boys still live in Cape Town.My Brother lives in melbourne Australia now.The Curries are now everywhere!! Regards.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 August 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look at my tree and see what matches I can make. Hopefully others will do the same.  Great that you found us!

I spent some time in Pirnmill myself as a child, on holiday.

(I've edited your post a little to remove the names of living people, as this isn't allowed on Rootschat).

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Diane Heddon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 September 11 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots, i am a bit lost again as to how to start a new topic[wherabouts etc'] My topic needs to be this time on a Glamorganshire board..but i usually but in and asked to be excused as i forget where/how to start a new topic,  please help me around this after which i have read all the rules here..best wishes. from D.