Author Topic: Percy Robert Musgrave Robertson & his wife Esme Marguerite Unknown  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Percy Robert Musgrave Robertson & his wife Esme Marguerite Unknown
« on: Thursday 11 September 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have just tracked Percy Robert Musgrave Robertson & his wife Esme Marguerite to Rhodesia and who may have owned [in part or full is unknown] Nicholson Mine. 

I know very little about this family despite repeated efforts and have just come across a cached article on the couples son Tudor Robert Musgrave Robertson.  Tudor has a memorial at the South Africa War Graves Project at http://www.southafricawargraves.org/search/print.php?id=21653

I have not been able to locate Tudor's birth but it may be 30 Nov 1921 or around that time.  He was 21 when he died in night flying accident on a Wellington bomber on October 20th 1943.  The article does not say if he died in England or in Sth Africa although the memorial is in Surrey England.
Tudor obtained his wings at the Rhodesian Air Training Centre in February, 1943.  It appears he attended Bulawayo Technical Mining School and before that a school by the name of Michael house.

I am hoping for the name of Tudor's mother and any details related to her.  Any details related to his father and any other siblings he may have had. 

Tudor's father Percy was born in Wales in 1892.  I have not located a marriage record for Percy and only found his wife's first names from the South Africa War Graves project.

As you can see I really have very little on the family and any and all assistance welcomed.

Westy11

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Percy Robert Musgrave Robertson & his wife Esme Marguerite Unknown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 September 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there

You can try browsing the collection on Zimbabwe on Family Search
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1837900
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1838530

This is what I could find about the mine, but it may be somewhere to start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Nicholson

You can also try "googling" the Pioneer Column, there seems to have been a Robertson amongst the party.  You may be lucky

Good Luck

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Given he was a Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve it may be an idea to get his war record from the royal Air Force that may have some additional information.
Given he is buried in Surrey he most likely died there

Not sure if the records are in Kew but you could try the National Archives site and check their catalogue
regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
Bingo!!

Her surname was Pownall and her dad was John!  If you go to familysearch and go to Zimbabwe and then the Death Register 1890-1977.  Click on that and then go to the very bottom where it says Death Registers.

Percy's death notice is image 62 in the file 1954 800-1226.  Her death notice is under 1974 1-380 and is image 78.

It shows that Percy and Esme were married in 1918 in Sefton Lancs, so you could possibly get a marriage certificate there.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods