Author Topic: Fitzgerald / Thompson Family Legend - Parish Lookup Please  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Debby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fitzgerald / Thompson Family Legend - Parish Lookup Please
« on: Saturday 28 August 04 14:39 BST (UK) »
I am currently doing my family history and need to find out if anyone else in Cork has heard this family legend.

Mary Thompson emigrated to England towards the end of the 1800s and married a Seabrook.  Story has it that her father who was born in Cork was the son of a Thompson (first name unknown) and Fitzgerald (first name unknown) the son of the local Laird.  There are mixed stories in the family about whether they actually married or not, I would think most likely not given that Thompson was a maid.  This would have happened around 1840/1850ish.

Anyone else heard this one and can you shed any further light on names and dates?

Thanks

Debby
ADDICOAT. ANNETT. BAKER. BARNES. BASSETT. BROOKS. BURLOUGH. BURROP. CAREW. CHASMER. CRAWFORD. DAVIES. DENHAM. DRURY. EDE. ELPHEK. FARRELL. FINCH. FOWLE. GOACHER. HENRY. HIRST. HOATH. HOCKING. HOOK. HORIGAN. HOSKEN. JARRETT. JAUNCEY. JEFFERY. KNIGHT. LEGGO. LLOYD. MARTENS. MASON. MATHEW. MATTHEWS. MEACHEN. MILNER. MUNN. MURRALL. NEAVE. PAINE. PHILIPS. PIETSCH. REDFORD. RICHARDS. RICHARDSON. SANTER. SEABROOK. SHUTER. SOUTHON. THOMPSON. TOLLY. VAUGHN. VINGOE. WEAVER. WILLIARD
Eng, Ire, Wls, Rus, G

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald / Thompson Family Legend.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 December 04 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debby

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Debby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald / Thompson Family Legend.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 December 04 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Not really Ticker,

I think the only way I will find anything will be by going to Ballyclough and looking things up first hand.  Unfortuneately living in Australia that is not likely to happen for a few years yet.

The only additional thing I was able to confirm was that her name was Elizabeth Amelia Thompson not Mary as we first thought and she was born in 1865/66.  Her father was Nicholas Thompson and according to her marriage certificate and several census Elizabeth was born in Ballyclough Cork.

If there is anyone on the board who lives in or near Ballyclough any local assistance such as someone checking the local parish records would be appreciated.  I know the family were Catholic as my great grandmother (Elizabeth's daughter) was the one who changed denominations from Catholic to Anglican when she had a fight with her local priest.  Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks
Debby
ADDICOAT. ANNETT. BAKER. BARNES. BASSETT. BROOKS. BURLOUGH. BURROP. CAREW. CHASMER. CRAWFORD. DAVIES. DENHAM. DRURY. EDE. ELPHEK. FARRELL. FINCH. FOWLE. GOACHER. HENRY. HIRST. HOATH. HOCKING. HOOK. HORIGAN. HOSKEN. JARRETT. JAUNCEY. JEFFERY. KNIGHT. LEGGO. LLOYD. MARTENS. MASON. MATHEW. MATTHEWS. MEACHEN. MILNER. MUNN. MURRALL. NEAVE. PAINE. PHILIPS. PIETSCH. REDFORD. RICHARDS. RICHARDSON. SANTER. SEABROOK. SHUTER. SOUTHON. THOMPSON. TOLLY. VAUGHN. VINGOE. WEAVER. WILLIARD
Eng, Ire, Wls, Rus, G

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald / Thompson Family Legend - Parish Lookup Please
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 05 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Births registered 1864-66 are inthe IGI database. The only Elizabeth Thompson registered in Cork was 20 MAr 1864 in Buttevant father mathew thompson mother Elizabeth McAuliffe.

Is this Ballyclough town near Mallow? The records  are available in the national library in Dublin to search. baptisms from 1807.

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&CityCounty=Cork%20North-West&parish=Ballyclough&churchid=12

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Debby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 02:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying.

Still no luck unfortuneatly but I'll find them eventually   :)

Debby
Eng, Ire, Wls, Rus, G

Offline cardiff Irish

• RootsChat Member
  • Fuair mé nuair nach maibh mé ag cúrdach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Debby, Is this all you know? I have looked and found more.....possibly. I don't want to put more time into it than I have to. I have found a Nicholas Thompson in the mid 1800's in Co Cork. Unfortunately it's in the diocese of Cloyne which complicates matters( I won't bore you now) I have even found where this Nicholas Thompson lived.........townland of Blueford, in the parish of Clonfert. I don't know that part of the County well but I believe it to be near Kanturk.If you want advice give me a shout. Regards,kevin, Co Cork.       ps Debby.......going back to the mid 1800's I'd forget the family legends...... they usually confuse matters

Offline Debby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 June 05 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

I have found out a bit more and any assistance would be much appreciated.

I have located what I believe is the family in England on the 1881 census.  They are listed as:

Nicholas Thompson b1838 Head
Mary Thompson b1837 Wife
Patrick Clifford b1859 Step Son
Elizabeth Thompson b1864 Daughter (I think this is my Elizabeth)
Philip Thompson b1865 Son
Matthew Thompson b1868 Son
Holey (Holly) Thompson b1870 Son
Mary Thompson b1874 Daughter
Nicholas J Thompson b1876 Son
Sarah J Thompson b1879 Daughter

They were living in the right area at 44 Stockwell St, Camberwell, London, England.  Elizabeth married in Camberwell in 1887.

Additionally I found all the children were christened in Cork on the Family Search IGI and in particular Philip is specifically shown as being born in Ballyclough just like Elizabeth was.

Nicholas (snr) appears to be in London in 1871 as a border in Chelsea working as a labourer at Hacket Gardens.  Not sure if this is the same Nicholas as above or not although he is shown on this census as coming from Cork.  His status is unmarried but I know that does not mean much.   

Mary (snr) was born Mary Connell (possibly O'Connell) and married ?? Clifford who was obviously the father of her oldest child.

On Elizabeth's marriage certificate her father is listed as still living although I do not know if Nicholas was actually still in the country at the time.  Interestingly Nicholas and her husband Alfred Seabrook were listed as already living at the same address on their marriage certificate.  It is possible that Elizabeth stayed on as a border where she met Alfred while the rest of the family returned to Ireland.

There is no record of any of the family being in England on the 1891 or later census, so it is possible that they returned to Ireland by the mid 1880s.

Elizabeth Thompson was my nana's grandmother and when she was telling me and Mum the family history she stated that she could remember Elizabeth having a brother called Nicholas and that she had been told her great grandfather had also been Nicholas.  So this seems to be a pretty strong indicator we have the right family.

Additionally I noticed on the IGI that Nicholas (snr)'s name was spelt Nicholes.  Not sure if it is just a spelling mistake or if he could write and it was intentionally spelt this way.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards
Debby
Eng, Ire, Wls, Rus, G

Offline cardiff Irish

• RootsChat Member
  • Fuair mé nuair nach maibh mé ag cúrdach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 June 05 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Debby, As for the spelling of Nicholes on IGI i would put that down to the transcriber.On Griffiths valuation 1852 there is a Nicholas Thompson in Blueford, Clonfert.....try googling this.It only gives head of household. Google Thompson Blueford Clonfert Rootsweb..... see what comes up. It's the only Nicholas Thompson that I can find. Regard,kevin Co Cork.

Offline Pacific2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 14 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have an ancestor of Thomas Clifford born 1864 in Ballyarthur Co Cork nearby to Ballyclough Co Cork where I have seen posted that Mary Connell (nee Clifford) had a son Patrick Clifford born 1859

Could be a family connection?