Author Topic: Stuart family and Scott family in Tipperary  (Read 2880 times)

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuart family and Scott family in Tipperary
« on: Saturday 12 July 14 10:28 BST (UK) »
My ggrandfather, William Stuart, was in the RIC (I have his service record) and stationed in Ardfinnan when my grandmother, Mary, was born in 1866.  Her sister, Jane, was born in Kilsheelan in 1868.  My ggrandmother was Jane Scott, born in Tipperary, about 1844.  I have the marriage certificate for William and Jane (who married in Ardfinnan), and birth certificates for the sisters and subsequent siblings.  My gggrandfathers were George Stuart and John Scott respectively.  Does anyone have any information about either family please?  thanks
Stuart, Scott, Crowley, Hosford in Cork, Limerick, Tipperary Ireland

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart family and Scott family in Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 July 14 12:54 BST (UK) »
What county was William born in - should be on his RIC record? Added: Saw from Census 1901 that he was born in Limerick.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Corkbeg/Whitegate/1131874/
rootsireland.ie a Pay site has a birth/baptismal record from a William Stewart b. 1833 Limerick father George- a long shot but might be worthwhile following up. False Lead it is a an R.C baptism and William was C of I according to census
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 July 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
This may be relevant - A George W B Stuart recorded in Slater's Directory 1870 as an RIC Sub Inspector in Adare Co Limerick. Added: In 1868 George Beatty West (Initials reversed in 1870 record?) Stuart Sub Inspector in Newcastle Co Limerick
Another red herring!! George Beatty West married Maria Louisa Wall of Mullingar in Dublin 15 Apr 1873
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=d-298-3-10-032
George's father John Stuart Inspector RIC

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 July 14 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all that info.  Seems a distinct possibility that there were even more members of the RIC in the family.  I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and take out a Findmypast or Rootsireland subscription as I have several other leads (from the new set of records on irishgenealogy.ie) which might have solutions in their records - cannot afford to renew my Ancestry sub, have to make do with the limited library edition! Thanks again.
Stuart, Scott, Crowley, Hosford in Cork, Limerick, Tipperary Ireland

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 January 15 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I have all the info on the Scotts that you are interested in but it's way too much to post here. I am aware that Jane Scott married William Stuart in 1866 but have only just started to research this branch of the family. I would be grateful if you could send me info on the Stuarts and I will give you a PDF on the Scott family. The PDF file size is too large to attach to this reply. Thanks, Robert Scott

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 January 15 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Jane Scott was born on 12 December 1841 to John Scott and Jane Purcell who were living in the   townland of Coolacussane, Tipperary at the time of her birth. In 1861 Jane was living in Wales with her brothers John and William. Jane moved back to Tipperary about 1864 and stayed with her sister Maria (and husband John Carson) at Ardfinnan where she met and married William Stuart. You know the rest.