Author Topic: Simon FRASER 1749-1827 Inverness to NYC  (Read 2279 times)

Offline ody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simon FRASER 1749-1827 Inverness to NYC
« on: Sunday 31 August 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
I am still (decades later) trying to find the parents of Simon FRASER (I know, it's a ridiculously common name, sigh!).

He was born about 1749 in Inverness area; died 1847 "age 78" in NYC. He was in NYC as early as 1777 when he married Eleanor McDANIEL / McDONALD (who was b. 1756 in "Canada") at Trinity Church. This was during the time of the British occupation of NYC.

He is listed as a "shipwright" or "shipbuilder" in the NYC directories from 1793 onwards.

He pobably was one of those who tried to salvage the ship "Hussar" in 1780 when it sunk in Long Island Sound carrying pay for the occupation troops.

He MIGHT be the son of Donald FRASER & Helen McKINZIE ; I can't find a record of their marriage, but I found the following children for them on Scotland's People:

1     20/10/1749   FRASER   ALEXANDER   INVERNESS   /INVERNESS   098/00 0040 0100
2     15/08/1751   FRASER   SIMON      INVERNESS   /INVERNESS   098/00 0040 0129
3     04/06/1753   FRASER   WILLIAM      INVERNESS   /INVERNESS   098/00 0040 0164

Since these are baptism records, I assume that they could have occurred later than the actual births.

One of the interesting tidbits in these names is that there is a FRASER, William, born at Inverness Scotland March 13 1753 died April 25 1826 Troy, NY (this fits with baptism of child of Donald & Helen in June 1753. Simon’s grandchildren, Matthew Hawkins & William B. FRASER were bookbinders in Troy, NY in early 1800s. Could they have moved to Troy because of cousins there?

There is also an Alexander FRASER in NYC at the same time as Simon. I haven't researched his family yet ...

HELP would be greatly appreciated!! I have been trying to find Simon's ancestors for MANY years...

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Simon FRASER 1749-1827 Inverness to NYC
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ody,
The only thing I can add to this is that there were a fair number of Scots in the Albany/Schenectady/Troy area so it may not have been relatives per se that took them there, but other Scottish settlers. My ancestors (Grant & Macpherson) arrived in NYC in 1803 with a group of young men from the same highland region, and proceeded upriver to Albany, where there were other Scots already established. They later moved west and established a settlement in Livingston county.

Did you look for a certificate of naturalization? Try the court records at the county seat, Court of Common Pleas.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 10:28 BST (UK) »
Ody, check out the Highland Family History Society,  archive housed in Inverness,

www.highlandfamilyhistorysociety.org

Join up for a year, very little money, see how you get on.

Skoosh.

Offline ody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
I have joined the Highlands&islands ... Never got a response from them. Also did some research in Inverness; they were great in person (was able to eliminate a few possible"Simon"s), but haven't been responsive to phone or email.

Offline ody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
Simon in NYC before end of Revolution so assume there would be no naturalization papers for him; looking for his parents & / or birthdate. Thanks for the response, though ...

I have his info from NYC directories; nothing in deeds till later; death record just has age and birthplace as "Scotland " (family tradition says Inverness).   Letter of administration has occupation, wife("Ellen" I.e.,Eleanor), and death date.

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 September 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
One further thought: did you try military records? Fraser's Highlanders fought in the Seven Year's War, aka the French and indian War, 1754 - 1763. Mostly fought in Canada and northern NY State, famous for the battle of Fort Ticonderoga. If he was wounded, he might have gotten a discharge and stayed on.