Author Topic: McLeod family from Uig to PEI, 1829  (Read 3794 times)

Offline T1Burbank

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLeod family from Uig to PEI, 1829
« on: Sunday 28 September 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
I am looking to find McLeod/MacLeod line in Scotland prior to entire family emigrating in 1829 on the Mary Kennedy to Prince Edward Island.
(1)Neil MacLeod  (b. mid 1700's in Isle of Skye )and Sophia (Nicholson) MacLeod (b. Isle of Skye)
children (2):Old" Murdoch MacLeod (wife Ruth Furness of PEI) James MacLeod(married Mary Murchison and/or Mary MacKinnon)  and Norman MacLeod b. 1752(wife Margaret MacPhee MacLeod from Isle of Skye d/o Donald MacPhee.).

I believe they left Scotland for religious reasons. Interested in knowing story lines for full family emigration as well as family history line in Scotland. My GGGG grandparents were Neil MacLeod and Sophia (Nicholson) MacLeod.

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McLeod family from Uig to PEI, 1829
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

Have you checked out http://www.islandregister.com/mcleod.html or Harold MacLeod's book "The MacLeods of PEI".

Offline caddyman59

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: McLeod family from Uig to PEI, 1829
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Good day, I also am related to the same family of settlers that came over on the Mary Kennedy, Neil McLeod and Sophia being my GGGGG grandparents. From what I have read Samuel, one of Norman and Margaretts sons was a Baptist minister in Uig area of Skye, and also a teacher. The Presbyterian Church made him quit his teaching job because they did not agree with his Baptist beliefs, so he organized the family and moved to PEI in 1829, Samuel was a brother to my GGGgrandfather John, who homesteaded in lot 50 or 51 in PEI I believe, my GG grandfather was born there in July of 1829, Angus, his mother was Anne Lamont. I too am interested in finding some information on the family prior to them coming to PEI, any comments or information would be helpful, thank you,