Author Topic: Hoys in Kinross  (Read 6300 times)

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoys in Kinross
« on: Monday 28 January 13 23:59 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Hoy family and although Kinross is a small county (and this a small board!), there are a lot of Hoys in the area and surrounds.  At the moment I do not have enough conclusive information to connect my branch to other Hoy families.  I have tried to work through the Portmoak microfilms but found little extra information (from IGI) recorded by the cleric which would help in identifying families.  I found them a difficult read.  Is there any other information locally that might assist? or information from other researchers to assist. Have I missed a resource?

This is what I have for my branch (along with a tree on A**)
James Hoy born abt 1750 married Eupham Webster about 1770. Children, per IGI, were all christened Portmoak: 1.Mezdry b. 1771, 2.David b. 1772, 3.Thomas b. 1775, 4.John b. 1778

Thomas (b 1775) married Margaret Henderson on 5 Dec 1802 Aucherderran.  Children (per IGI), all christened Auchterderran, Fife were: Mary 1803, Euphan 1804, Euphemia 1805, James 1810.  Mary married James Swan 23 Jan 1826 Dalgety Fife.  Euphemia married John Roxborough 12 Aug 1825 Burntisland.  James married Margaret Hutcheson 31 Dec 1835 Gorbals, Glasgow.

Children of James & Mgt Hutchison, all born Glasgow were: Thomas 1836, Catherine 1838, Margaret 1840, Hutchison 1841, Magdalene 1844, Mary 1848, James 1850, John 1855. The family can be found in the 1841 Census and subsequent ones in Glasgow.

Son Thomas (b.1836) married Isabella Meiklejohn in 1862 in Tradeston, Glasgow. Their daughter Jessie Meiklejohn Hoey married James McGown in 1888 at Walton on the Hill, Lancashire, England.  James is my great-grandfather and shortly after the 1891 census James & Jessie relocated to Vancouver, Canada.

The IGI show hundreds of Hoy/Hoey entries in Kinross and I have tried to follow some in an attempt to establish connections and perhaps find parents for James who married Eupham Webster.

An early IGI entry is George Hoy married to Isobel  Meldrum 1688 in Cleish.  Recorded children are Isobel 1704 and David 1707, so possibly other children between 1688 and 1804, who were not baptised. 

Another entry that caught my attention was this one:  Peter Hoy married Bessie Arnot  in 1710 in Cleish.  Recorded children, all baptised Cleish, are 1. Christian 1712, 2. George 1713, 3. Isobel 1715, 4.Ebenezer  1718, 5.Andrew 1720, 6.John 1723, 7.Janet 1727, 8.Edward 1729, 9.Bessie 1731.  If Peter & Bessie followed the Scottish naming tradition then parents could be Christian ? and Ebenezer Arnot and George Hoy & Isobel Meldrum with Peter’s unrecorded birth about 1690 making him of marriageable age in 1710. 

So using the naming tradition and continuing to look for a father (possibly named David) for my James Hoy (married to Eupham Webster) the only David is the son of George & Isobel Meldrum born in 1707.  The only marriage I could find on the IGI is that of David Hoy to Ann Hoy in Portmoak in 1737 however I have been unable to establish any children for this couple.

So, all unsubstantiated theories aside, at this point I feel I have to be satisfied that I have done as much as I can and be happy with James Hoy and Eupham Webster being the roots of my tree.

Jo
McGown - Ireland, Renfrewshire, Lancashire, Antrim, Canada
Dand - Fife
Hoey - Lanarkshire, Lancashire

Offline Neal Hoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hoys in Kinross
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 21 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is Neal Hoy and I also have traced by lineage to the Kinross-shire Hoys of the 17th/18th centuries. Thank you for your feedback as there were one or two Hoys I hadn't known about and helped me to dig a bit further. I have written quite a bit about these Hoys and how I am related to them but I think our lines diverge in the 18th century. If you are interested I can send you parts of the relevant stuff which may help you in your quest. I only used Scotland's People site.
All the best,
                        Neal Hoy, from Edinburgh but presently based in Minsk, Belarus.
  You can use this site I suppose to contact me. It's my first post.   

Offline matrixx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Hoys in Kinross
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 21 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon.

Whilst undertaking my research i came across your postings re the Hoy family.

I am related to the Mary Hoy who married James Swan but have no other information to assist you.

Regards

Matrixx (S)