Author Topic: Is it my missing ggg grandfather Hoey?  (Read 3294 times)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is it my missing ggg grandfather Hoey?
« on: Thursday 05 August 10 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

Some Rootchatters will have heard more than enough about my missing ggggrandfather Patrick Hoey.

There are other posts about my Hoeys, but basically they arrived in Lancashire England mid 19C where my ggrandmother was born.

Her father was John James (Or John Joseph) Hoey and we have loads after that.

However I had nothing on his siblings or his father Patrick Hoey.  John was born 1827 approx in Dublin Ireland and thanks to Rootschatters I have a strong hypothesis that the family (saddlers), came from Loth near Castlebellingham and Kilsarran, moved to Dublin then Lancashire.

Nothing however of father Patrick and family.
::) ::) ::)

However:  I was looking through old papers and found two sets of emmigrants to Australia, kept on separate occasions years ago on the off chance they might be related and I'm wondering in they just might!

I have:

Victoria Index of Assisted British Immigrants.

Ship Tasman October 1849 - Arrival?

Includes:

Hoey: Bridget 41, Patrick 41, Ann 10, Catherine 4, Elizabeth 7, John 20, Mary 15, Matthew 19, Patrick James 12, Rosanna/Rose 18/17.

Also:

Victoria Index for Passengers leaving Victoria:

Ship St Clair to Port Chalmers Nov 1862:

Includes:

Hoey: Unknown 53, Ann 17, Eliza 21,  Kate 19, p 50

I'm wondering if the first family are mine, and also although the ages aren't perfect, are the second group part of this family moving on to Port Chalmers?

I've asked some questions in the other countries concerned, but I'm wondering if any kind person in Lancashire can help me look for evidence on whether the family came to Lancashire first?

The only census (some) of them could be on would be 1841 and I've not succeeded.  There might be a marriage for the parents, too.  Of course John would have to have returned, possibly alone as well to Lancashire.

best wishes

Emms :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Lindajane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Is it my missing ggg grandfather Hoey?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 12 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emms,

Hope I can shed some light on the subject for you or at least on the Descendants of William and co! I had a stab at this tree last night and may have found some things for you. My friends great grandfather Thomas Hoey, a labourer in a pig yard was born in Dublin city. He was born (to be verified!!) to James Hoey and Mary Anne Adams in 1865. Whether he is from our family or not is not relevant to you at the moment. What is CERTAIN is that a Thomas Hoey was born to these parents.

In the 1871 census James is over in England with his wife Mary A and three kids, Thomas, Mary and Matilda. James is a saddler. By 1881 Thomas is 17 and is recorded living in England with his Uncle John and Joseph. The mother Margaret is here aswell, now in her 80s. She is widowed from her husband William. Also in the house is the wife Caroline who appears on the return to be the wife of John but should really be the wife of Joseph!

Joseph or "William Joseph Hoey" is baptised at St. Michans church 21 Sep 1828. This is in the Smithfield area of Dublin and on the street where my friends grandad grew up. He is born to William and Margaret (surname is hard to read).

Sorry if this is getting confusing!

My feeling is that the Hoeys moved from Louth to Dublin in the 1820s and kept connections with the North (hence the birth of Charles in Portadown). They moved to England before 1851 but returned to Ireland during the 1860s. At this time several of William seniors children have babies in Dublin, around the St. Michans area. Joseph born 1828 who married Ann Caroline Barton has two children in 1856 and 1859 in that area. Sponsors are Charles (his brother)and Margaret (his mother) showing that the entire family seems to have moved back.

James as we saw was back in Dublin having his children around the 1860s.

Brother John appears in the 1871 census with his child Michael Frederick Hoey born in Manchester around 1856.

So in short we have William c.1801 marries Margaret c.1801, both from Drogheda.

Their children are
Jane 1826, Drogheda..marries an O'Donoghue,
James c.1826 Dublin marries Mary Anne Adams and has Mary M 1859 Dublin,
     Matilda 1860, Dublin and Thomas 1865 Dublin.
William "Joseph" 21 Sep 1828, St. Michans Dublin marries Ann Caroline Barton
  and has Mary 6 June 1856 and Margaret 24 Dec 1859 (baptised St. Michans,   
         Dublin)
John c.1833 Dublin marries Mary ? and has Michael Frederick born Manchester 
       c.1856
Frederick c.1833 Dublin
Charles c.1838 Portadown.

Looking up the directories for 1850 in Dublin there is a John Hoey saddler living in North King's Street Dublin which is on the road connecting to the one where my friends grandad grew up, in the parish of St. Michan. In 1862 there is a Patrick Hoey listed as sadler in 1862.

I'm wondering now if you are connected to the John Hoey that I have seen with kids Patrick, John, Margaret, Mary and Catherine. I see that Patrick is born in Dublin so I found his birth which is of course, registered in St. Michans. 12 December 1856 to John Hoey and Margaret Higson or Hickson.
They also had Margaret Ellen Hoey baptised there 18 April 1855 even though her address is registered as Heywood.

Probably just confused you a hell of a lot. I would just bear in mind that they never really broke ties with Dublin and there is a lot for you to find there I'm sure. Can you tell me your line and I can try help?

LJ

Offline Heather26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 December 12 08:43 GMT (UK) »
HI
I am new member to this forum but I am interested in some of your posts. I descend from Peter Hoey (appears in records in County Louth as Patrick Hoey) who married Bridget Larney (anglicised to Elizabeth) who left Ireland and moved to Port Fairy (then called Belfast), Australia before coming to New Zealand.
I am currently writing a family history in regards to this family and after seeing your posts I thought we should make contact.
Heather

Offline spwat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 September 14 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Emms

I'm hoping you are still picking up messages on here. My great grand mother was Matilda Hoey she married my great grandfather Francis McFadzen in Manchester in 1880. I too found them on the 1881 Census at 6 Potter Street Manchester. If you look next door there is the McFadzen Family (but down as Mack) Matilda is there with her 2 eldest children and the inlaws. I found them at this address when I tracked down the Hoeys in a catalogue listing Irish immigrants to Manchester. I have been searching for the family in Ireland for over 10 years. If theres anything else you can find out it would be great. I'm going to try and digest the links you have already listed. Mary Ann Adams died in 1872 and James Hoey died in 1875. Matilda and Francis had 10 children in total.

Offline spwat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 September 14 23:31 BST (UK) »
I also have James Hoey and Mary Ann Adams in Manchester with Matilda, Mary M and Thomas. I found a baptism record for Thomas 30th May 1865 in Dublin with parents James Hoey and Mary Ann Adams I dont know what church because I havent purchased the record from Ancestry.

Offline sheelaghryan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
My great aunt was Elizabeth Larney born in Louth,we could be related !!!
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 April 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
HI
I am new member to this forum but I am interested in some of your posts. I descend from Peter Hoey (appears in records in County Louth as Patrick Hoey) who married Bridget Larney (anglicised to Elizabeth) who left Ireland and moved to Port Fairy (then called Belfast), Australia before coming to New Zealand.
I am currently writing a family history in regards to this family and after seeing your posts I thought we should make contact.
Heather