Author Topic: John Burritt Thomas - Storekeeper  (Read 767 times)

Offline Keith847

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Burritt Thomas - Storekeeper
« on: Friday 11 April 14 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all
My wife's g grandfather was recorded as being a storekeeper in the Kimberley area from the early 1880's to 1891.

His first son, William's baptism in 1883 records the family abode as Niekerks Rush.
Second son, Gearge's baptism in 1885 records the family abode as Longlands Vaal River district.
Third son, Cecil's baptism in 1887 records them living at Longlands River Diggings.
Fourth son Bertie's baptism in 1890 records them living at Barkly; the register is headed Barkly in the division of Griqualand.

I wonder if anyone has any knowledge regarding stores or storekeepers in these areas and whether it's likely that there are any contemporary records or photographs in existence, perhaps in museums.

I live in Malaysia so all my research has to be done online, also, I am not familiar with the different districts around the Kimberley area, therefore, I would appreciate any help or advise.

Kind regards
Keith

Offline Boere

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Burritt Thomas - Storekeeper
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 14 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
Niekerks Rush, Longlands and Barkly West are all in an area on the Vaal River about 40 kms North West of Kimberley. Barkly West is the nearest town that will have info but unlikely to be online.
I think your best bet would be Kimberley archives as the then centre of the diamond diggings.
Will
McGowan: Maghera, Coleraine, Co Derry, Ireland.
Tilsley: Nantwich, Cheshire, UK.
Shattock: Bristol, Gloustershire, UK.
Warren: Cork, Co Cork, Ireland.