Author Topic: New Bath Hotel, Matlock Bath - William Hill b 1888  (Read 1932 times)

Offline S4llyC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Bath Hotel, Matlock Bath - William Hill b 1888
« on: Tuesday 28 October 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
While researching my grandmother's family - 9 children of Robert & Catherine Hill, living in Selston parish (Westwood and Jacksdale) Notts, I discovered that my grandmother had an older brother, William, who had never been mentioned during my childhood. Several of the children were baptised en bloc at St Michaels, Underwood, in 1891.

The census for 1891 and 1901 show William with the rest of the family in Jacksdale, but the only entry I can find for 1911 shows a William Hill as the Restaurant Manager at the New Bath Hotel, Matlock Bath.

I'm quite new to family history research - can anyone advise how I might pursue this enquiry further? Unfortunately William Hill is not an uncommon name, and there are so many possibilities, I'm finding it hard to know where to go next.

Any assistance would be appreciated - many thanks.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Bath Hotel, Matlock Bath - William Hill b 1888
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
One idea

Dad Robert left a Will. You could get a copy and see if William is mentioned and if there is any more detail about him.

Probate index entry -
Robert Hill of Sedgewick Street, Jacksdale, Selston Nottinghamshire died 3 Jan 1934 Probate London 13 March to Catherine Hill widow and Edward NAthan Hill engineer Effects £1038 - 12s - 3d

Also -
If the 1911 you have found for the William gives a correct specific place of birth for him, and the correct age, then you can look in earlier censused to see if he was the only William Hill of that age born in that place. If not one else fits, then the 1911 find is more likely to be "your" one. If you find there are more than one William Hill born in that area in that approx that year, then can you find all the others and gradually rule them in or out as possibles for your one?  If any others can be ruled out (eg still with their parents in 1911) then you may find the one you are left with is most likely your one.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline S4llyC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Bath Hotel, Matlock Bath - William Hill b 1888
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks lizdb - that's a great help. I'll certainly look into the will situation, and see if I can confirm whether there are any other Williams who might muddy the waters. Fingers crossed that I can progress this a bit further. Thanks again.