Author Topic: Where is Hannah?  (Read 8604 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Hannah?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 November 14 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Ok, now it gets interesting.

By my calculations Joseph TAYLOR b 1834 has two families running if not at the same time then intermittingly. :o

It would be interesting to see if Joseph was named as the father of Frank - Hannah Watson's last child!! 

Offline g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 November 14 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Since Hannah married Joseph Taylor, her children born after that date would carry the surname Taylor regardless of who the father was.
Regarding the Taylor/Annable childrens' baptisms maybe it depended on the vicar in charge knowing whether Elizabeth and Joseph were legally married.
Liz
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 November 14 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Ok, now it gets interesting.

By my calculations Joseph TAYLOR b 1834 has two families running if not at the same time then intermittingly. :o

It would be interesting to see if Joseph was named as the father of Frank - Hannah Watson's last child!!

I'll put a post on the Leics board and see if anyone can track down the christening.  Joseph junior's baptism might be interesting also.  I'll do a separate post for that.  I think there are Denby records online somewhere.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 November 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is on the right lines but want to run a newspaper article by you that I have found

Derby Mercury 06 May 1863

It tells of the cruelty to a boy and the mother Hannah Taylor serving 6 mths. Whilst it is a common surname, the article says

...The prisoner resides at Stapenhill, in a small cottage with her mother, near Mr Radford's Pleasure gardens, and is separated from her husband...

it states she lives with her mother in a small cottage but that... the inmates except the little boy, very comfortable at dinner.

The boy is 3yrs 3 mths.

So then looked for Joseph and...

Derby Mercury 17 June 1863

Joseph Taylor, was charged with neglecting to maintain his child.-The Magistrate's Clerk, informed them that the prisoner's wife had been living in adultery with another man, and had unknown to her husband ill-treated the child, for which offence she had been committed from Repton for six months.-The overseer, of Stapenhill, who had laid the charge, said the prisoner was ignorant of his wife's conduct, and the case was dismissed.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 November 14 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is on the right lines but want to run a newspaper article by you that I have found

Derby Mercury 06 May 1863

It tells of the cruelty to a boy and the mother Hannah Taylor serving 6 mths. Whilst it is a common surname, the article says

...The prisoner resides at Stapenhill, in a small cottage with her mother, near Mr Radford's Pleasure gardens, and is separated from her husband...

it states she lives with her mother in a small cottage but that... the inmates except the little boy, very comfortable at dinner.

The boy is 3yrs 3 mths.

So then looked for Joseph and...

Derby Mercury 17 June 1863

Joseph Taylor, was charged with neglecting to maintain his child.-The Magistrate's Clerk, informed them that the prisoner's wife had been living in adultery with another man, and had unknown to her husband ill-treated the child, for which offence she had been committed from Repton for six months.-The overseer, of Stapenhill, who had laid the charge, said the prisoner was ignorant of his wife's conduct, and the case was dismissed.

:o :o :o

Willsy-that sounds like them!  They were married in Stapenhill and in 1861 Hannah was living in Stapenhill freehold allotments with her parents, sister and first born child, Roseanna.  Her child Henry was born in Feb 1860, so that fits.

Would it be possible for you to send me the article in its entirety?
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 November 14 22:02 GMT (UK) »
The constabulary's visit was 22 Apr 1863.  Going by later census returns Joseph TAYLOR (jnr) was born between 1863 and 1864, more likely the latter given the proceedings mentioned above.  Maybe she was pregnant when she went to jail? In any case, it seems now unlikely that Joseph jnr and Frank (b 1869) were the children of Joseph TAYLOR, despite taking his surname.

Phew.  Time for some brekkie while I digest that lot!

EDIT:  I wonder that there seems to have been no action reported against her live-in partner at the time.  I wonder how they decided he had no role in the abuse?

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 05:00 GMT (UK) »
By 1891 my Joseph Taylor is living with new wife Elizabeth and family in Hoyland. 

I might try and get the Death Certificate for the Hannah that died in 1864 to see for sure.

The DC in question confirms that Hannah didn't die in 1864, which means that she is the person mentioned in the police reports, and who was still officially married to Joseph when he remarried in 1875.  It looks like she died in Coalville in 1912.

She sounds like a nasty piece of work, I hope young Henry wasn't permanently scarred by the treatment he got. :(