Author Topic: Are any of these family names yours ?  (Read 32905 times)

Offline Lynn H

• RootsChat Member
  • Save our Churches & Graves.
    • View Profile
Re: ARE ANY OF THESE FAMILY NAMES, YOURS ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,  Are you still around and are you still looking for Hills informatiom?

Lynn H.
Lynn has bouncing emails

Family Names. Pendlebury - Hills - Hipwell - Fowler - Wood - Foord.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/parishes

Offline MaureenK

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are any of these family names yours ?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 March 08 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Morris (My g g grandmother) lived in Spaldwick. Had daughter Elizabeth Jane Church who was  widowed young,  was  a farmer. She had 5 children..........Annie(my grandmother), Bernard, Lydia (known as Edith). William and Frederick.
may be a connection.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mobo

Two Church sisters, Rhoda b c1829 and Mercy b c1837, daughters of Richard Church and Hannah Manning of Spaldwick, married two of my gt-grandfather's brothers, Joseph and Isaac Fairey of Easton.  They probably met at Spaldwick Baptist Church, where the girls' grandfather, John Manning, was minister.

My gt-grandfather Amos Fairey married an Annie Church b 1839, who is not related to that family as far as I can tell.  She was born in Gt Paxton, daughter of William Church and Mary Ambridge.  Amos and Annie settled in Ellington.

Regards,

Gillg

Just noticed the date on your original posting (1905)! 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline MaureenK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Those names Rhoda and Mercy ring a bell. I shall now do some digging!
Thank you. I will come back to you when I find something.
Maureenk

On 25th July 1833 Richard Church bought the house now known as Three Ways for £150  from Enoch  Skempton . He had leased it for the previous year.
On 26th July 1833 Richard borrowed £130 from james Bland the Baker and Thomas Ashby the Blacksmith.
On 14th June 1836 Richard sold the house to Mark Davis for £220. Mark Davis was my g g grandfather.
The house remained in our family until around 1976. My sister's house is built in the old paddock of the house.
Recently the house sold for nearly a million!
This may be of interest...... it is information my mother copied from the deeds.
M

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi MaureenK

Richard Church was born c 1799 in Godmanchester and was a tailor.  He married Hannah Manning in Spaldwick in 1820.  His other children were John, Rebecca, Ellen, Elizabeth, Susannah, Frederick and William.  Is the house Three Ways in Easton or Spaldwick?  Can you tell me where in the village Three Ways was located (I have a good idea of the village layout).  In 1851 Richard and family were living next door to the Crown Inn in Easton. 

There is another Richard Church about at the same time, from memory living in Huntingdon.

Incidentally, I think a son of John Church, Thomas, married one of Mobo's Morrises - Rebecca - in 1868. She has his birthplace as Barham, which is a mile or two from Spaldwick.

Regards,

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline MaureenK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Three Ways is not the original name for the house.........Fairview at one point.
It is on the Green. Put your back to the front door and opposite to you is the old Blacksmiths shop and to the left of it the road going round to the Thrapston road.On the right of the Blacksmith's house is a driveway and then The George public house and then The Manor.
My Grandmother Annie Church (married Davis) was a tailoress in a family of Tailors. She lived at The Crown in Easton!!!!Her married home was Three Ways. What a coincidence! John Church Annies grandfather was a Tailor.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Maureen

I'm getting quite excited!  If your John Church the tailor married Elizabeth Burton, then we are talking about the same family.  My John Church was, of course, the brother of the aforementioned Rhoda and Mercy, who married my gt-grandfather's older brothers.

Looking at the family tree of a descendant of John Church on Genes Re, I can't quite follow the line you are talking about, but I don't agree with some of the items on there, anyway.  One of us must be wrong!

I don't think I can know Easton as well as I thought, as your description doesn't match my memory of it - or are we talking about Spaldwick?  All I remember of Easton is the road winding down from the main Huntingdon Road and curving round to a sort of common (The Green?) with a stream running through it.  The church was on that road and a row of cottages, one of which had been the pub (The Crown?) but is now poshed up to the nines in black and white and thatch.

Regards,

Gill

Offline MaureenK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I am unsure of John's wife's surname but I do know she was born in Ellington. If Richard and Hannah were married in 1820 it is highly likely that John was their firstborn in 1821.Spaldwick is very small so  the chances of two John Churchs must be small. Certainly family only ever spoke of one....... what a character he was too.  Just got to find the proof !
I have a photograph of Three ways in Spaldwick but at the minute am having no luck sending it to you.
My computer is newish to me and its system is different to my old Mac laptop and at present it rules me!!
Our branch of the Church family died out two years ago.
maureen

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Maureen

I'll send you my email address in a PM.  You can attach the photo to it more easily that way.  I have a great photo of John's sister Rhoda Church in her old age which I can scan and let you have. 

Cheers,

Gill

Incidentally, there are quite a few Church researchers on Genes.  Are you a member?