Author Topic: Sutherland evictions 1829  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutherland evictions 1829
« on: Wednesday 25 July 12 09:20 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can find information about the Sutherland evictions/clearances of 1829, which were carried out by George Gunn, factor to the Marquess of Stafford.

I have heard that an ancestor of mine was evicted by George Gunn in 1829 and I am looking for some sort of book or source where I can verify this.

Thanks.

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland evictions 1829
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 00:38 BST (UK) »
hi there
 I think you may find that the clearances were not recorded as it was forbidden to write about it, however as may emigrated or moved south to find work as the only possible work left was seasonal (??) then family's may have kept records/written about it.

have a look at these hope they help in some way

helmsdale.org

scourie.co.uk

thesonsofscotland.co.uk

Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
Munro,  some shocking stuff on here,  http://www.electricscotland.com/history/hclearances.htm
a Robert Gunn gets a mention at the end.
The folk evicted were often old soldiers or had sons fighting for the British Crown.

Skoosh.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
You might get some help if you were to write to the current Duke of Sutherland - you never know!

I gained a good overview by reading John Prebble's history, The Highland Clearances. Can't locate my copy so can't check what's in it for you, but can remember Sutherland being dealt with. His books do have useful references, sources and bibliographies, so it may help. In stock at Amazon - I've just checked!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Graham,   this Duke of Sutherland just inherited the title, the Earldom and what's left of the estates devolved upon the present Countess of Sutherland & son Lord Strathnaver.

This Gunn sounds like a local. The infamous Patrick Sellar is buried at Elgin Cathedral, I know somebody who, to his credit, visited the grave for a spot of relief.
 Loch, the Head Factor, did rather well out of the business and had a "big hoose" in Edinburgh called Drylaw.

Skoosh.

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
George Gunn (allegedly chief of Clan Gunn but this is disputed) is notorious as acting as as "Factor" on the Marquess of Stafford's estates in Sutherland. Particularly in the year 1829.

A relative of mine said that an ancestor of ours was evicted by them in the year 1829 but it is not clear where this came from. Possibly the seniach of the Clan Mackay who I cannot get a response from.

I am just trying to find a record of his (Alexander Munro) eviction. He could have been between 60 and 70 years old at the time.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
Clearances stuff on         http://www.fernandocandido.com/scotland/clearances-g.html

A Gunn at the bottom of the page.

Skoosh.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 08:58 BST (UK) »
Try the National Library of Scotland. This listing includes several letter books of George Gunn and also refers to other catalogues. I would have thought that there is a huge amount to study here...

http://www.nls.uk/catalogues/online/cnmi/inventories/dep313.pdf

The catalogue seems to be reached via the SCAN system www.scan.org.uk
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 14:29 BST (UK) »
Graham,

Thanks so much for your help. It seems like this is just what I am looking for. If there is a record of my ancestors eviction by George Gunn that it will surely be in here somewhere.

Thanks!