Author Topic: Where to search to find the appointment of a Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland c1738 ?  (Read 3216 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello thanks for looking at this topic...

I am researching Hugh Macdonald, he was Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland between the years 1738 - 1756 Hugh died in 1756, he was also Town Clerk in Dornoch and it is recorded that he passed both positions on to his son also named Hugh who held both posts until his death in 1768.

According to Dornoch Council minutes Hugh snr is first mentioned in 1737 as being a baillie there, he eventually became Town Clerk in 1738. He married in Dornoch in 1738 and he is recorded as being Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland (and Mistra?) at that time. Hugh was a writer but was not 'a son' of Dornoch, this is quoted from H Mackays book ' Dornoch and its traditions' and I take this to mean he wasn't born or had lived there as a young man....

What I can't find is a record of when Hugh became Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland, I have found letters regarding his death and the subsequent 'election' of his son to the post, however I can't find any reference to Hugh snr having aquired the position. I have no idea where Hugh was living prior to 1737 and his first mention in the Dornoch Council minutes, nor do I have any idea when or where he was born.

Has anyone any idea where I might find records of past Sheriff Clerks of Sutherland as I have Googled till I am blue in the face  ??? without success  :'(

In fact if anyone has any information re Dornoch Town around this time I would be most interested

Many thanks in anticipation
Patricia.

ps Hugh Macdonald is my husbands five x great grandfather....
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where to search to find the appointment of a Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland c1738 ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Records of minor Scottish legal offices in the period prior to the 1745 rebellion are very difficult to obtain. Courts then were run by hereditary sheriffs (abolished by the Heritable Jurisdictions Act 1747). 

You state though that Hugh Macdonald was a writer. His legal records, if they still exist, might be kept by the Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet (Google "WS Society" and you'll find them). I don't know if they still have an archivist, but their librarian should be able to help.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where to search to find the appointment of a Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland c1738 ?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 February 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
thank you very much for the information, I have looked at the 'ws society' website and it looks promising as they will do some research for a small fee, ideal for me as I live in Nottinghamshire..
Hopefully I will be lucky..

Once again many thanks for your help
Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 February 14 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Try the National Archives Pat,   http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Skoosh.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Skoosh,

I have looked through the on-line catalogue and there are some interesting avenues that I could go down, I think a visit to Edinburgh may be the best answer.

Thanks for your help

Pat