Author Topic: Mary McGinnis/Collins? of county Silgo, b. abt 1868  (Read 8180 times)

Offline Frank2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary McGinnis/Collins? of county Silgo, b. abt 1868
« on: Sunday 15 June 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for info on my g-g-grandmother, Mary McGinnis, who was born in county Silgo abt 1868. However, I have found conflicting sources listing her maiden name as Collins and Kilhullen as well as McGinnis, so I'm not sure what she would be found under in a birth record. I've also had conflicting info on her father's name, either Patrick McGinnis or John Collins/Kilhullen. Her mother was Jane Linny according to her death record. The name Patrick McGinnis is found in her obituary as well as siblings' marriage records, and John Collins is found on her own marriage record, as well as her own name being listed as Collins. John Kilhullen is found on her death record. As you can imagine this is pretty confusing. I do know these records are all of the same person, though. She immigrated to Carbondale, PA around 1876 and married John F. Peterson, and all of these records list him as the spouse and are located in the Carbondale area. So if anyone could find any records of her in Ireland that could point one way or the other, or any other info, that would be a huge help.

Thanks very much.

Frank
Peterson, Denison, Dennison, Higgins, Bradbury, Collins, McGinnis, Boland, Bradbury, Hawkins, Carey, Linny, Cunningham, Taylor, Orr, McDonald, Hyatt, Weissenfels, Stone, Cole, Myrick, Clark

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McGinnis/Collins? of county Silgo, b. abt 1868
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 June 14 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Frank and welcome  :)

Do you have these records?

Do you have Mary in US census with her family?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 June 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for info on my g-g-grandmother, Mary McGinnis, who was born in county Silgo abt 1868. However, I have found conflicting sources listing her maiden name as Collins and Kilhullen as well as McGinnis, so I'm not sure what she would be found under in a birth record. I've also had conflicting info on her father's name, either Patrick McGinnis or John Collins/Kilhullen. Her mother was Jane Linny according to her death record. The name Patrick McGinnis is found in her obituary as well as siblings' marriage records, and John Collins is found on her own marriage record, as well as her own name being listed as Collins. John Kilhullen is found on her death record. As you can imagine this is pretty confusing. I do know these records are all of the same person, though. She immigrated to Carbondale, PA around 1876 and married John F. Peterson, and all of these records list him as the spouse and are located in the Carbondale area. So if anyone could find any records of her in Ireland that could point one way or the other, or any other info, that would be a huge help.

Thanks very much.

Frank

Are you saying that her death record shows her parents as John Kilhullen and Jane Linny but her obituary has her father as Patrick McGinnis and Jane Linny?
You mention siblings, what are their names?

Offline Frank2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 06:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Heywood. I do not have those birth records of her siblings that you linked me to, so thanks for showing me those. I do have Mary in the 1900 US federal census with her husband and children, living in Fell (very close to Carbondale), Lackawanna, PA. I also have, as I mentioned, her marriage license from Lackawanna county, as well as her death certificate and her will. And I have her in a school register in 1875, age 6, along with her sister Maggie (Margaret) and Patrick McGinnis listed as father.

Yes, her obit says her maiden name was Mary McGinnis, and her mother Mrs. Patrick McGinnis (still living at the time of her death). I assume Patrick was deceased by this time. There is no mention of a John Collins or Kilhullen in the obit, but on her death certificate John Kilhullen is listed as her father. The informant for the death certificate was her husband John Peterson. Her siblings were Margaret (as I mentioned), Matilda, Michael, Henry, and two other sisters listed by their husbands' names, whose first names I haven't properly identified, likely Alice and Alicia based on the birth records you found.
Peterson, Denison, Dennison, Higgins, Bradbury, Collins, McGinnis, Boland, Bradbury, Hawkins, Carey, Linny, Cunningham, Taylor, Orr, McDonald, Hyatt, Weissenfels, Stone, Cole, Myrick, Clark

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,
I found the census in Fell after I posted. It is strange isn't it. Do you have the rest of the family in censuses?
It is also odd that Alicia was born in 1876, yet you have Mary in school in 1875. It would seem perhaps that Jane travelled later if she was expecting Alicia.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBS6-2J6

I have looked on here http://sligo.rootsireland.ie/index.php. The site is free to search but records are payable. I tried McGuinness / Linny and it indicated there were 5 possibilities.
Mathre 1866 (presumably Matilda?); Margaret 1869; Alice 1870; Sabina 1874 and Sarah Anne 1879. Again, the last is odd re the date and may not be the family. RootsIreland records can vary with their helpfulness and can be expensive.
Sabina' s mother  looks to be Jane Sweny https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPSS-L52. This could be Sweeney or a mispelling/ mistranscription

This is probably the 1879 birth but it says Sarah Jane https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG6Y-8C3 - again may not be the right Jane

Here is Michael who was not on the initial FS list I posted https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRCH-4M6

Irish civil registration of births began in 1864 and photocopies of the entry can be ordered at 4 euros each.

Heywood

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
The surname Kilcullen (not Kilhullen) is in the same area in Sligo.

I wondered if Jane had been married twice but can't see any evidence or maybe Mary was 'adopted' into the family and raised as as McGinnis  :-\

If the family emigrated in 1870s, they should be in 1880 census but I can't see them as yet. :-\

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
Here is the marriage of Pat and Jane https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGD6-LML
It seems to indicate that she is widowed as she is the 'spouse' but she is married as Lynny with her father as Henry Lynny  ???

Offline Frank2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
Here is the marriage of Pat and Jane https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGD6-LML
It seems to indicate that she is widowed as she is the 'spouse' but she is married as Lynny with her father as Henry Lynny  ???
Well, this could indicate that Mary was from Jane's first marriage, presumably to a John Collins/Kilhullen/Kilcullen, but Mary's birth date from two sources, the school register and the death record, puts her birth after the marriage between Patrick and Jane. However on the marriage license the age listed indicates a birth date of about 1864, as her age listed is 24 when the marriage occurred in 1888. That birth date is also present in the 1900 census, but censuses are often unreliable so I don't put much stock in that.

And I must say you've been a huge help, Heywood, so thank you again for taking the time out to look this stuff up.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
Do you have any if the family elsewhere on any censuses? If so where are they living?
What are the surnames of the sisters on the obituary record?

You mention Matilda - so she can't be Mary?

Is Mary in school in Carbondale?