Author Topic: David Caffie  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Auchencrieff

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
David Caffie
« on: Sunday 18 November 12 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find information on David . he married Elizabeth Marshall on October 1st 1867 in Port William. Elizabeth then married William Kelly on April 5th 1870.
David's parents were John Caffie and Martha McGhie. Despite years of searching I have been unable to find either a birth or death certificate for David.
Any suggestions as to what happened to him and where to find any information regarding his family would be much appreciated.
MARSHALL family in Ayrshire, Wigtownshire, Kirkcudbrightshire, Yorkshire, Canada
McHARG in Wigtownshire, Glasgow.
MYLES in Lanarkshire, Ireland, Canada.
HUGHES in Lanarkshire, Ireland, Canada, USA
SHIELDS in Lanarkshire, Ireland, Canada, USA

Offline Charlotte21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Caffie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 12 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Auchencrieff,

Do you have any info on David's occupation, suspect that he may have been a seafarer and was lost at sea.
There are no records of his burial in the Mochrum Parish Church Graveyard MI's.
The names of his parents also suggest that they were probably from Ireland which is just over the North Channel from Port William.
There were large numbers of people came from Ireland into Wigtownshire from the 1840's onwards.

Only a suggestion but hope it may help.

Charlotte21

Offline Auchencrieff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 12 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for your suggestions and speedy reply. According to David's marriage certificate he was a farm labourer, aged 24. His father was also a labourer. I found a David Callie in the 1861 census for Stoneykirk at "Age 17, Farm Servant, born Wigtown, Stoneykirk. Census 1861 898/00 002/010. Village of Landmill."
It would be great to be able to tie this in with the David I'm looking for but that is as far as I was able to manage.
On the certificate for Elisabeth's marriage to William Kelly it states "Elisabeth Caffel widow"
This has been difficult for me for years and any suggestions would be most helpful.
Thanks
MARSHALL family in Ayrshire, Wigtownshire, Kirkcudbrightshire, Yorkshire, Canada

Offline Charlotte21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 12 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Try this site which is the 1851 census for Dumfries & Galloway .www.dgcommunity. Go in with surname Caffold, you should come up with David, his parents and two brothers. You will see that his mother is shown as Marthew which is the same way it is spelt in the Ancestry census records. The address Landmille is more or less that same as you have for David in 1861.
The familysearch site shows David with surname Caffile born in 1842 in Stoneykirk to John Caffile & Martha McGhie.
I know this does not help to find his death record but I will look for him in the  Stoneykirk's MI's the next time I visit my local Family History Society in a few days time. 

Charlotte21

Offline Auchencrieff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 12 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I was just about to leave the site when your message came in. This is just wonderful news. Thank you so much for taking the time to search this for me and for checking in your family history society.
I will check out the site you mentioned and look forward to hearing from you if you have further news.
Kind Regards

Offline Charlotte21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 November 12 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Auchencrieff,

Checked the MI's for Stoneykirk and adjacent graveyards today, I am afraid I have drawn a blank regarding David or his family.
Will keep you advised if I eventually find anything.

Charlotte21

Offline Auchencrieff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 November 12 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte 21
Many thanks for the work you have done. It is a real puzzle. I have not been idle and your research encouraged me to try different names. As a result I found the death of Martha, David's mother on 12 Dec 1860 in Culmore or Culmone, Stoneykirk. Her parents were Joseph McGhee and ? Thomson. Her name is spelled Caffild.
I also found another 2 of David's siblings, William Caffle who died at Lochans, Stoneykirk, aged 2 1/4 on 14 Dec 1858 and John Caffild who died at Culmore, Stoneykirk, aged 4 months on 2 April 1861,
I would assume that they would have been buried in a paupers grave. There appears to be no record of the family after 1861 perhaps the deaths of so many in such a short period caused them to leave the area. Perhaps someone will be able to throw some light on this subject. Thanks again for your time spent researching. It is much appreciated.
Auchencrieff