Author Topic: Ann Mitchell or Robertson  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Mitchell or Robertson
« on: Sunday 10 August 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
My Gt.Grannie Janet/Jessie Mitchell had an illegitimate daughter in 1859, six years before she married Gt. Grandad Alexander Morrison. The daughter, Ann, was registered as Mitchell, but in the '61 & '71 census is named as "Robertson" (The RCE in 1865 names James Robertson as the father). Ann vanishes after the '71 Census, so maybe she got married. My question is, was she required to marry as the name on her Birth Certificate? Also, what was the minimum age to marry in Scotland in the 1870's? Cheers, Anne  :)
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Mitchell or Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 August 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
She would have to have been registered with her mother's surname if the father did not attend the registration or provide written consent for him to be named. The RCE probably refers to a Certificate of Paternity which the mother took out in the Sherriff Court. The daughter could have used either surname when she married: she would most likely have used whichever surname she was most commonly known by.

The minimum age for marriage used to be 12 for girls, although it was very rare indeed for anyone to be married at that age.

A woman to disappearing from the census after the age of 21 usually indicates marriage. Have you searched ScotlandsPeople? She could have used either surname, but her marriage certificate will name both her parents. You could also try searching the census for her without a surname but with an age and birthplace, and see who pops up.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 August 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
She could also have died, so worth checking the deaths.

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 August 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM for that info - I am currently checking a list of names from SP of marriages, thought I had it earlier, but it was the wrong mother. Have stuck with Robertson, as she was named that in both Census'. But then I wonder if she was commonly known by her stepfather's name of Morrison.
Will also follow up on your suggestion of checking the '81 census without a surname.
GR2, I haven't checked Deaths, but I should eliminate that first! Thankyou both! Anne
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 August 14 17:01 BST (UK) »
Anne, just as background, is this Ann Mitchell's 1859 birth? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY58-VRG

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 August 14 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, Yes, that is her birth, I have the Cert & RCE from Scotlandspeople. In 1861 she was living with her mother & Grandparents William & Ann Mitchell, "Craigyhill" Savoch. In 1871 she was with her mother & my gt. Grandfather in Pitmedden Village, Udny.
In about '71-2, the family moved to Stonehaven, but by the '81 Census she has vanished. So there's a number of searches to find her! cheers, Anne  :(