Author Topic: Wiiliam Laing and Christian Meikle  (Read 4642 times)

Offline jenf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wiiliam Laing and Christian Meikle
« on: Friday 11 March 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Laing was born in 1809 in Bo'ness, West Lothian and died in Beverley in the East Riding of Yorkshire in 1861. His Father was William Laing whom I believe was born in 1775 although I have not been able to confirm this. He married Christian Meikle (b. 1774 in Linlithgow).

Does anyone have information or can point me in the right direction as to

William Laing and His parents and early life.
His date of marriage to Christian Meikle.

Kind Regards

Jenf 

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wiiliam Laing and Christian Meikle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jen,

I searched the Bo'ness MI's and can't find anything for William/Christian, nor can I find a marriage or any other children other than Alexander being born to them.  Course they may not have originated in Bo'ness or died there!!

Sorry ....  cheers .... Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi jenf,
I had a look on the IGI records but no joy.
I think you best bet would be to work back the way from Alexanders birth in 1809
and hopefully you will stumble across their marriage details
You could try the pay per view site,

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

cheers,
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline mashman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 August 13 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just come across your post as Alexander Laing and William Laing are direct relatives of my mother.

I am unable to find a marriage between Christian and William but I have found a record on the latter day saints that’s states that Alexander Laing’s parents were William and Christian Meikle.

I am unable to trace the Laing line back any further, but I have found that Christians parents were Andrew Meikle B) 1722 in Linlithgow and died in 1802 and Agnes Dickson B) 1732 I cant find a marriage date or death date for Agnes at present.

This also goes back 2 further generations to Andrew Meikle B) 1694, West Lothian and Mary Balerston B) 1695, West Lothian and then back to Andrew Meilke B) 1668 in Carriden, West Lothian and Elizabeth Bean B) 1672 in Carriden, West Lothian. Again I am trying to find death dates and Marriage certificate but I am 95% sure this is the line.

As Alexander is a direct relation I have also found that he and his wife purchased a farm with just over 40 acres on land, in Molescroft, about 1 mile away from Beverley. He purchased this at auction on 30 November 1855 for £2690 and took ownership in 1856. There was an agreement in place for him to pay for the land per year. When he died in 1861 there was then a court case for the original owner, a William Bainton to get the land and farm back. I have copies of the original purchase agreement and letter along with the letters and court case. If you want any more information then let me know.

Hope this is of use

Mark