Author Topic: viola rigby  (Read 5796 times)

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: viola rigby
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 June 14 10:10 BST (UK) »
no she turned up after the marraige
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 June 14 12:55 BST (UK) »
Don't know how I didn't spot this first time around - there is a small stamp/notation on the 1912 marriage which simply states 'Bigamy'.

Since Grindlay hadn't been married before it presumably relates to 'Lola Mary'. 

Perhaps it was David who alerted the authorities that the marriage was bigamous and when he tried doing the same 2 years later she got her own back.

However, since it sounds like Grindlay and she were 'together' from 1912 I'm guessing there were other children born between then and Margaret Isobel's birth in 1924!

Last census shows David and Mary had 2 children who'd died - these would appear to be twins (birth references consecutive numbers) named William and John who were born and died in 1907.

Which brings us back to Viola Clyde Rigby - since there appears to be no trace of her with this name in any BMD/immigration records either her name was changed (name chosen perhaps by her father and I note that Clyde was a Rigby name) or she may have been adopted and name changed then.   With no formal record of adoptions before 1927 there seems no way of finding this out.

I note the informant of Lola Mary's death was a son 'C P Forbes'.   This was presumably Clifford Phillip Forbes born 1918 Partick whose birth is indexed under both Rigby and Forbes.   A Gordon Dunlop Forbes b.1916 Partick (only under Forbes), died 1917.   Another with the same first Christian name was b.1921 Partick and this is indexed under both Forbes and Rigby.

Have you tried tracing these 2 people in case they/descendants might know what became of Viola?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 June 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for all that info , no i havent tried tracing them but i will now thanks again :)
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 June 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
no the twins were born to david p rigby,s brother alexander and jeannie nee montgomery
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 June 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
i have the census for david rigby age 34
mary 24
jane 3
viola 10months jane died 10 days after the census age 3 whooping cough i month meningitis i day
perhaps thing went wrong for them after jane died i myself lost a child at 11 months but we had a strong marraige perhaps thier,s wasnt very sad because mary lost a few children in her life i dont think i will ever find viola perhaps it,s not to be . carol. ps they were in st ninians sterling when the census took place and sterling was where the little girl died.
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.