Author Topic: Catholic Cemetery, Drumholm?  (Read 10059 times)

Offline Normski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Cemetery, Drumholm?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 July 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi ya,

I got his death certificate from Scotland's people, I was interested  to find out where he was buried and as it was stated that he was buried in the family plot I wanted to know who was buried there also.  But reading the comments is seem as if the the records only go back to 1968   :(  I am coming over to Donegal next summer and I think what I will need to do, is just spend a few hours looking around to see if I find his grave.

Thanks again for everyones help.

I really appreciate it Normski
Campbell, McGarrity, Brock, Tonner, Hagan, Morgan and Gallagher

Offline sdjazzlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 June 14 05:08 BST (UK) »
Where would one get the Drumhome Graveyard book mentioned by Carol Mack.  I'm looking for the burial of a Methodist 3xgr grandfather Abraham FARRELL 1792-1876 from Ballybulgan, Drumhome, whom I didn't imagine would be buried in an RC cemetery of a Church of Ireland. Maybe that's all the choices there were.

Is this John McGroary you are researching? If it is he is not listed as buried in Drumholm Protestant graveyard. I have the Drumholm Graveyard records book and there are no McGroary's listed there. So I would say you should be looking at the Roman Catholic records.

Carol

[/quote]
Farrell - Drumhome, Co Donegal
Spence - Drumhome, Co Donegal
Griffith - Drumhome, Co Donegal
Ward/Martin - Co Monaghan
Crowley - Co Cork
Sullivan - Co Kerry, Co Cork
O'Gara - Co Mayo, Co Sligo

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 June 14 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This is just a quick reply as I am on my way out!!! I will reply in full next week.

First of all, Methodists were buried in the Protestant section of Drumholm Graveyard, there was no Methodist graveyard. I took the liberty of having a look in the book and your Abraham is there, died 11th March 1876. There seem to be several Farrell plots, indicating different families. If you let me know other names etc. I will have a look. Other Surnames associated are Griffith and Spence.
I knew Farrells in Ballintra and they were Methodists. That was a few years ago!!!!!

As far as I am aware the Drumholm Graveyard book is now out of print, other RootsChatters may know differently!

Regards for now,

Carol
McVitty: Co. Donegal, Canada and Worldwide!
Kilpatrick: Co. Donegal
White: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Ellison: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Fleetwood: Yorkshire.
Hassell:London,  Shadrake:London & Essex.
Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline sdjazzlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 June 14 15:16 BST (UK) »
Blimey! Carol, you have just put me into a state of exhilaration, where I will stay until your return! This is my first real touch with Abraham.  And I think his wife was Jane Clarke (I show Spence as part of her name, also). Yes, the Griffiths are my ancestors, too! 

This is a remarkable breath-through! In your absence, I will put together a very short list of names and impose upon you for a lookup. Please make a note to re-connect with me when you return and have time. I hang suspended! Sharon in San Diego. (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Crowley - Co Cork

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 June 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I'm back with a little time to spare tonight - I'm so glad to have been of help!

I took the liberty of doing a bit more digging and this is what I have found, my apologies if you have all this:

Abraham Farrell was baptised 29th March 1792 in Drumholm Parish Church, the (?first) son of John Farrell, Drumcroil and Margaret Scott (her father was Abraham Scott) who were married 27th February 1785, both listed as Church of Ireland. Their other children were John bpt.1794 & Margaret bpt.1796. John and Margaret may have had other children, given that it there was 7 years between their marriage and Abraham's birth.

Alexander (I'm sure this is a mistake & that this is Abraham) Farrell Ballybulgan, married Jane Clarke, Rathtinny,on 16th March 1819 in Drumholm Parish Church, both listed as Church of Ireland, no parents given. Their children, that I can find, were Jane bpt. 1820, Margaret bpt. 1821 & William bpt. 1825, all Drumholm Parish Church.

Ballybulgan, Drumcroil and Rathtinney are a stones throw from each other.

Methodism didn't arrive in Ballintra until later and early baptisms and marriages were still carried out in the Parish Church.

Send me your list of names and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,
Carol

Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline sdjazzlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 June 14 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, my sweet helper!
Terrific -- and all those confirm what I thought were right, thanks to you. Yay!

The main person I'm seriously looking for is Abraham and Jane's son John Farrell, my 2x gr-grandf. He is shown on his Kington ON marriage in 1845 as being 24 yrs old and having parents "Abraham Farrell and Jane Clarke of Drumhome, Donegal."  I have no record of him before or after that. He should have been born about 1821, by the marriage record. I wonder if his birth/bpt name was Thomas John or something like that, and he used John when he left Donegal.  I sure would like to know something about him!

I don't know how the DGH is put together or what's in the book, so I'll just ask and you can tell me whatever you can.

For other child of John Farrell and Margaret Scott (the 1785 ones), would there be a William, bpt abt 1788?

For Abraham Farrell and Jane Clarke, would there be children:
Andrew bc 1837 -- who married Mary Griffith in 1856. Marriage shows s/o Abraham Farrell. He's also on Griffiths Val.
Eliza bc  1835 -- who married Wm Young 1858. Marriage shows d/o Abraham Farrell
Abraham b Feb 1829 -- married in ON. Shows s/o Abraham and Jane (no surnames)
Thomas - no info, but have him as a maybe (for some reason).

Oh, and is Spence somehow related to Jane Clarke that you can see? I got some leads once that she may have been a Spence who married a Clarke before marrying Abraham.

Carol, did I read that you were born in Ballybulgan??? Looks to me like there were only 12 homes on GV, then only 9 in the 1901/1911 Censuses.  You had to have known some of the descendants of my Farrells.

You are a treasure. Thanks.
Crowley - Co Cork

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 July 14 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I'm sorry I have taken so long replying but I have been trying to find a birth record for your John - no luck I'm afraid! I have to say you may never find a birth for him - I have a similar situation in my family, especially when they became Methodists, but having seen the evidence in your posts elsewhere, I am sure he is Abraham & Jane's son from Ballybulgan. Abraham's father was John, so Irish naming pattern would name the first son for the father's father. As for his disappearance I am still looking - I thought he might have come back to Ireland but I doubt it.

As for William - I cant find a birth record for him either, although I am also sure he is the William Farrell from Ballybulgan, father John, who married Francis Kincade 12th January 1809. 

I have better news on Jane Clarke. I believe she did not marry anyone other than Abraham. She was born on 16th May 1795 daughter of William Clarke and Jane Millar, Rathtinney.

Regarding the Farrell/Spence issue, I have found a connection, although it is a much later generation:
Abraham Farrell (born 1898, son of John Farrell, farmer, of Ballybulgan, and Susan) married Elizabeth Spence (daughter of George Spence, a carpenter, and Sarah Jane (nee Elvin). They are in Ballintra on the 1911 census. Abraham died 16th June 1986 aged 88 yrs. and Elizabeth died 11th September 1999 aged 101 (bpt.13th July 1898) They are all in the same burial plot. This is the family I knew as a child, they lived next door but one. I cant say anything more here as we are now getting into the realms of the living, suffice to say a family member taught me piano!

I was brought up in Ballintra village, not Ballybulgan, but I knew all the places we have just mentioned, I just wish I had taken more notice of the people around me at the time!!!

I will keep you in mind and if I find any more I will let you know.

Regards,

Carol

Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline sdjazzlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 July 14 02:30 BST (UK) »
Carol, you have gone way above and beyond!! You're just super, and I can't thank you enough.

I will just call it quits, at least actively, for finding my John Farrell at either his birth or death end. Like you, I'm convinced the St Mary's Cathedral register marriage clearly makes him s/o Abraham and Jane, especially since they are the ONLY Drumholm ones of that vintage. And I'm not thinking John returned to Ireland. The Catholic church, I'm told by priests, would not have allowed his wife  to remarry -  as she did -- without death of John. I'm thinking he became a sailor and died at sea or at some faraway port (too romantic??  :D). At some point I may pursue some records of merchant seamen; I know that ships kept good records.

Oh, and do you realize you just found my next set of great-grandparents (Jane Clarke's parents)!! How can I cite that?  I don't have doubt, I just need to make note. Anyway, I will play with them for awhile and see if they're from Scotland - Lanarkshire, for instance.

I have an Abraham Farrell Feb 1829 who married in Perth Ontario (to Janet Forrest), and rootsireland shows marriage info shows his parents as Abraham and Jane (no surnames). I kept him as John Farrell's brother for a long time, but just couldn't make it work. I had to take him out of the tree because it kept backfiring and making me crazy. I find this 1829 Abraham on a tombstone  at the Donegal Cemetery in Perth.  He's also on the 1851 Can Census with a whole boatload of Freeborns, Hammonds, Thompsons and a Harron.  I know they're all from Donegal!

A woman I had many conversations with had that very same Abraham  coming to Ontario with his parents in 1852. He had a sister Susan, etc., etc. I KNOW my Abraham and Jane Clarke never left Ireland, but I can't figure who's this particular Abraham, from Donegal, who went to Perth and has parents Abraham and Jane.  I guess I'll revisit this who thing at another time.  My Drumhome Farrells (thanks to your help) will keep me very busy for a while!

Carol, in May of next year, I'm going on a research trip to Dublin, but then will drive up to Donegal to (fingers crossed) perhaps find a living Farrell from my line. Fun.  Will stay in B&B in Laghey.

Super thanks to you,
Sharon
Crowley - Co Cork