Author Topic: Murray/Stenhouse  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Murray/Stenhouse
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Well Mel

Seems that Janet gave birth to Margaret when she was 45....  The only Janet Murray death - with another name beginning with D and ending in ll is that of a Janet Murray a 90 year old lady dying of old age - widow of William Murray - 'Spirit Dealer' - 14th May 1875.    Her surname is given as Doull.  Witness was a son W Murray.

Her parents were James Doull a weaver and Isobel Doull - Maiden Surname 'Doull'.  With this entry, the flourishes on the capital 'D' make it roughly look like a 'B'   :)

Copy will be with you in 5 mins.  Regards,   Steve 

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mel100 and Steve,

Trying to save your credits, her christening is on IGI, Janet Doull christened 9th Jan 1785 at Wick, Caithness, Scotland. This is an extracted record.

She had 2 siblings, George christened 1778 and Margaret christened 29 Jun 1781, both at Wick.

There is 2 entries for James Doull and Isobel Doull, 1 at Wick dated 17 Jun 1777 and the other at Canisbay on 12 Jul 1777, both their parishes calling the banns. Both records are extracted.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

On FreeReg, Janet's christening on 09 Feb 1785 (not Jan as on IGI) shows parents residence as Keiss and witness was a James George.

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=7591982

The marriage of James and Isobel Doul (sic) is also on FreeReg, James parish was Wick and Isobel was Brabster, although took place in Canisbay.

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Marriages&RecordID=2667679

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 December 11 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mell100,

The James Stenhouse you mentioned were his parents Robert Stenhouse and Agnes Chosewood ? I have a James born around 1837 at Inveresk Musselburgh, Robert was born 1790 at Gifford Haddington and he owned West Windygoul Farm Haddingtonshire, if so you are from the same line as my wife her mother was a Stenhouse

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Mell100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 December 11 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie

Thanks for asking, but James' parents were Robert Stenhouse and Margaret Morrison. Robert was born about 1800 in Bolton, East Lothian.

Thanks
Mell

Offline kris47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 December 11 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mell,
    Janet Doull & William Murray married 24 Oct 1807 Wick, Caithness.
Janet's sister Margaret Doull b 29 Jun 1781 Wick, died 21 Apr 1856 Fleshmarket Close, High St, Edinburgh Informant on her death cert was James Murray, nephew 12 Duncan Street, Edinburgh.

Kris

Offline Mell100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris

They are the family I was looking for. I knew about the marriage, but I didn't know what happened to Margaret. William and Janet had a son named James, so it's quite possible that this was him informing on her death

Thanks
Mell

Offline nbt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My Name is Natalie and I live in New Zealand. I've been doing an internet search on James & Margaret(nee Murray) Stenhouse and I came across your posting.
Margaret and James came to New Zealand on the "Strathfieldsaye"  which sailed 25 Jan 1858 from Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland. They arrived on  29 Apr 1858 "Strathfieldsaye", Port Chalmers, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand.  I will try to attached some documents for you.  They were one of my sets of my great great grandparents on my mothers side.  They had 4 children, three boys Robert, William and James Junior and a girl (Jessie who died aged 3 months.  In the 1882 Return of NZ Freeholders of Land he is listed as have land worth 160 pounds in St Kilda, which is a suburb of Dunedin.  He was listed with an occupation of Inspector. This is a very nice suburb of Dunedin and very close to the sea. He also stood for the St Kilda Borough Council and was elected in 1888. He was the mayor of St Kilda for some time. For some reason in late 1800's the family packed up and went to Australia.  James junior stayed behind and he was a well known hotel proprietor on the West Coast and Otago.  I have some other information and photo's of james and Margaret which I can hunt down if you are interested.  Regards,
Eyre, Bradbury, Stenhouse, Whitaker, Murray, Dawson, Wrigley,
Williamson, Barson, Nield, Richards, Fairbairn, Purdie, Douall, White, Noy, Shugg, Michell, Thomas, Cock, Roberts, Angove, Scues, Murphy, Booker, Selves,

Sara, Jacka,

Offline Mell100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Natalie

If you're willing to share with me, I would be interested to hear any information you have.

Thanks
Mell